A Fuse #8 Production
Inside A Fuse #8 Production

This Happens Every Year When the Summer Reading Club Prizes Arrive

DSC00625 This Happens Every Year When the Summer Reading Club Prizes Arrive

We are the children’s librarians of New York City.  In our blood flows the heritage of Anne Carroll Moore.  We are the guardians of children’s literature.  We hold true to the great works, find new, and sustain the institution of the library as the center of culture and worth.  We . . . we . . . uh . . . we . . .

Awwwwwwww!  Wookie at all the fuzzy wuzzies!

DSC00626 This Happens Every Year When the Summer Reading Club Prizes Arrive

Fuzzy wuzzy wuzzy wuz.

Ooooooooo…..

DSC00628 This Happens Every Year When the Summer Reading Club Prizes Arrive

share save 171 16 This Happens Every Year When the Summer Reading Club Prizes Arrive
Elizabeth Bird About Elizabeth Bird

Elizabeth Bird is currently New York Public Library's Youth Materials Collections Specialist. She has served on Newbery, written for Horn Book, and has done other lovely little things that she'd love to tell you about but that she's sure you'd find more interesting to hear of in person. Her opinions are her own and do not reflect those of NYPL, SLJ, or any of the other acronyms you might be able to name. Follow her on Twitter: @fuseeight.

Comments

1. Abs says:

Yup…pretty solid description of what happens. If it makes you feel any better, every adult around here has been oohing and grossing out over a spider toy here. You can SEE the mechanism that makes it appear to jump but we’re still going ewww…look at that. *sigh* it’s the simple things.

2. Fuse #8 says:

I KNEW it was a nationwide phenomena. Cool toys: Perk of the job or necessity?

3. lisa chellman says:

Adorable! This year, my library’s trying to move away from the made-in-China, possibly-contains-dangerous-levels-of-lead toys and is giving away paperback books to all winners. It’s amazing how much more expensive that is than the Oriental Trading Company option, but it makes us feel karmically good.

4. Fuse #8 says:

I can understand that. One year somebody found a pin in one of the baby toys and the whole kit and kaboodle had to be tossed. It’s hard to get hurt by a book, though. Unless it’s Pat the Bunny, of course. That puppy can pinch.

5. Maureen says:

I am printing this out and showing it to my supervisor to prove I am no crazier than is strictly required by my job.

Fuzzy!! So envious. But we have these cool windup skittering bugs. I predict a feeding frenzy.

6. nw says:

Fuse #8, you are a riot! It is my dream to meet you and then not know what to say to somebody so awesome.

I have two questions:

(1) What do you think of this whole giving prizes to kids for reading thing, anyway? Is it like giving the monkeys peanuts for finger painting, and then they don’t enjoy it anymore?

(2) What does Fuse #8 mean?

7. Fuse #8 says:

(1) I once was visiting local schools to get the kids signed up for summer reading. At a particularly posh Greenwich Village private institution they had never heard of the concept. I explained it to them and made the mistake of mentioning the prizes. Suddenly they got a very condescending, paternal look on their faces. “Ah. I don’t think we’re interested. You see, we like our children to be INTRINSICALLY rewarded for reading rather than EXTRINSICALLY rewarded.” Actual quote. Since then I’m a prize-a-holic. Besides, the kids don’t really care. The ones who like reading will read. The ones that don’t can be convinced through more straightforward methods. (2) It’s a long story involving a car possessed by otherworldly forces and the nicest mechanic in Richmond, Indiana. Google “What’s a Fuse #8 Production?” and you’ll find the true story.

8. Alkelda says:

Puppets are nice! I’ve not been thrilled with the plastic prizes of yore. One of the library systems out here has big prizes now for increments of minutes read (ice-cream, pizza, and something big for the finale with something huge like a laptop for the grand-prize winner)) and it’s just too much.

9. your neighborhood librarian says:

Sadly, our system has moved away from ‘ever’body gets a prize!’ and is doing more drawings and raffles and whatnot. Joyless bastards, if you ask me.