In the event that you happen to know a small child with adamant opinions on comics . . .
thamar romero ∙ sr. publicist ∙ nickelodeon corporate communications ∙ t: 212.846.7491 ∙ m: 917.608.0429
Contacts: Joanna Roses Thamar Romero
VOTING TAKES PLACE IN DECEMBER FOR THE FIRST-ANNUAL
NICK MAGAZINE COMICS AWARDS
NEW YORK–Dec. 10, 2008– Nickelodeon Magazine , the leading entertainment and humor magazine for kids, announces that voting has commenced for the first–ever Nick Magazine Comics Awards, honoring the best U.S. published comic books, strips, and graphic novels for kids. Now through Dec. 31, kids can vote online at http://www.nickmag.com/comicsawards or by mailing in the Nick Magazine Comics Awards ballot available in the December 2008 issue or at select comic retailers and children’s libraries. Winners will be announced in Nick Magazine ’s April 2009 issue and online at http://www.nickmag.com .
“The Nick Magazine Comics Awards tap into kids’ increasing enthusiasm and excitement over graphic novels and comics,” said Laura Galen, Editorial Director of Nick Magazine . “Our readers have consistently told us how much they love The Comic Book in each issue of Nick Magazine , and now we’re giving them the opportunity to tell us about all of their favorite comics.”
Kids can cast votes for their favorite comics and characters across eight categories, including:
- Favorite Graphic Novel: The Arrival by Shaun Tan; Baby Mouse (series) by Jennifer L. Holm and Matthew Holm; Bone (series) by Jeff Smith; Diary of a Wimpy Kid (series) by Jeff Kinney; The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick; and Naruto (series) by Masashi Kishimoto.
- Favorite Comic Book Series: Archie comics; Batman comics; Simpsons comics; Spider–Man comics; and Star Wars comics.
- Cutest Comic Character: Bartleby (from Bone series); Snoopy (from Peanuts ); Super Diaper Baby (from Super Diaper Baby ); and Manny (from Diary of a Wimpy Kid series).
- Favorite Comic Strip: Calvin and Hobbes by Bill Watterson; FoxTrot by Bill Amend; Garfield by Jim Davis; Mutts by Patrick McDonnell; and Peanuts by Charles M. Schulz.
- Best Hair in Comics: Calvin (from Calvin and Hobbes ); Kakashi Hatake (from Naruto ); Storm (from X–Men comics); and Veronica (from Archie comics).
- Favorite Manga Series: Best of Pokémon Adventures by Hidenori Kusaka and Mato; Fruits Basket by Natsuki Takaya; Kingdom Hearts II by Shiro Amano; Naruto by Masashi Kishimoto; and One Piece by Eiichiro Oda.
- Grossest Thing in Comics: Captain Underpants’ underpants (from Captain Underpants series); The Cheese (from Diary of a Wimpy Kid series); Venom’s tongue (from Spider–Man comics); and Wolverine’s back hair (from X–Men and Wolverin e comics).
- Favorite Fantasy Graphic Novel: Amulet by Kazu Kibuishi, Bone (series) by Jeff Smith; Redwall the Graphic Novel by Brian Jacques, Stuart Moore and Brett Blevins; Warriors (manga series) by Erin Hunter; and various, and W.I.T.C.H . (series).
Nickelodeon Magazine is the leading humor and general entertainment magazine for kids ages seven and older. In addition to comics, each issue includes fascinating facts, interviews, puzzles, quizzes and Nickelodeon news. The magazine is published 11 times a year and reaches 7.7 million readers each issue.