A Fuse #8 Production
Inside A Fuse #8 Production

Poetry Friday: A modest proposal

Matt (resident husband) said the other day that Google suggestion boxes shou3469454143 41089c8bc9 m Poetry Friday: A modest proposalld be the newest form of poetry out there.  And I agree, that this particular search is clearly a poem.

Thanks to BB-Blog for the link.

share save 171 16 Poetry Friday: A modest proposal
Elizabeth Bird About Elizabeth Bird

Elizabeth Bird is currently New York Public Library's Youth Materials Collections Specialist. She has served on Newbery, written for Horn Book, and has done other lovely little things that she'd love to tell you about but that she's sure you'd find more interesting to hear of in person. Her opinions are her own and do not reflect those of NYPL, SLJ, or any of the other acronyms you might be able to name. Follow her on Twitter: @fuseeight.

Comments

1. Gregory K. says:

Nice! I will add to that this link from McSweeney’s – a quiz about whether each line is a YouTube comment or e.e. cummings:

2. Carol Hinz says:

That’s fantastic! Google’s suggestions are fascinating and mysterious–I’d love to know how many times people have to search for a given phrase before it comes up as a suggestion. Maybe authors could start manipulating it–they could have all their friends do a search for things like “meaning of life” or “miley cyrus” plus the name of their book just so it starts showing up as a suggestion…

3. tanita says:

Ending with Harriet Tubman is somehow inspired… Typing “I am” into Google is always amusing, too. “I am vast. I am vast and contain… I am bored. I am extremely terrified of … I am legend. I’m a celebrity, get me out of here. I am sam.” Beat poetry.

4. Mitali Perkins says:

Perfect. Jesus as a frisky badger comes up first? That’s sort of Narnia-ish, don’t you think?

5. Fuse #8 says:

I’ll grant you the badger, but frisky?

6. laurasalas says:

Love this! And I totally failed the e.e. cummings quiz (hanging head in shame). But it was fun, anyway.

Carol, your idea is too funny! A new marketing area to exploit–um, I mean explore.