A Fuse #8 Production
Inside A Fuse #8 Production

First the Egg

brood1 231x300 First the EggOriginally I intended to go to ALA in New Orleans this coming June.  If you’ve not been to a New Orleans ALA Conference, there’s nothing quite like it.  The food, the sights, it’s all quite lovely.  That was before I learned about a project with a release date in June that was going to throw a definite wrench in the works.  It’s not a bad thing.  Truth be told, this is a project I’ve been hoping to work on for quite some time, and I think I should see it to its natural end before making any serious plans for the future.

The project?  Well, why don’t you meet it yourself?

10 First the Egg

That’s right, folks!  We’re looking at the June release of a baby Bird!  A chick!  A fledgling!  My brood!  Other variations on my last name (you’re welcome to submit new ones as well).  And a first kid for Matt and me too!

Now in a sense I already have a child.  That would be this blog.  And child #1 is going to regard child #2 (or, as I may refer to it from time to time in terms of new books, Test Subject A) as stealing its “me time”.  It’s right about that.  So let’s cram in as much blogging in these next seven months as humanly possible. Because after mid-June, you might notice a bit of a dip in frequency.

By the way, I am NOT about to go all mommy blogger on you.  Nothing against them, but that’s not my shtick.  I’ll certainly mention my little Test Subject A from time to time, in the context of my postings, but I know that if the kid is a product of me that it’s gonna have odd tastes.  So you won’t be reading any reviews here where I say things like, “Well, my two-year-old simply didn’t get anything out of this graphic novel adaptation of Dostoyevsky, so I shall have to conclude that’s it’s no good at all.”

In the meantime, I’ve been collecting pertinent links for just this very occasion!  A good blogger is always prepared.  This post was actually entitled “For When You Announce You’re Brooding” for a good year and a half (and it was heartbreaking to have to continually push the date back).

First up, you may have noticed that pretty little picture at the beginning of the post.  It was done by an artist by the moniker of Elsita who happens to do some mighty fine papercuts in her spare time.  She has some other images that are sort of appropriate for today’s info.

brood2 First the Egg

brood3 First the Egg

You may click on them if you’ve an interested in purchasing.

In my travels, for every lovely image I’ve found I’ve also discovered the crazy side of pregnancy.  You wouldn’t believe some of the horrific stuff I’ve seen… like this.  AUGH!  Crazytalk!  (I understand that maybe some of you have done this, and I respect your wishes, but for me that is the strangest danged thing I ever heard of, bar none.)

Crazy in a whole different way are the products they create for the expectant.  Here in New York, I’m actually a little surprised that I haven’t run across these before.

Far less horrific, but disturbing in its own way, was this cool Make Room for Baby program the Museum of Science and Industry of Chicago created.  I’ve had more fun moving the little dial back and forth, back and forth than I can really admit.  It would be great to show to kids too!  My sole concern is for my intestines.  Look what happens to ‘em!  They’re all scrunched up at the end!  Ay yi yi yi yi.

Crooked House has been a good source of pregger info, actually.  For example, I’ve a question for the female illustrators out there.  Were you ever tempted, even once, to paint your own stomachs?  Because apparently this is a thing.

belly2 First the Egg

belly1 300x234 First the Egg

Good to have a sense of humor about it, I say.

In conclusion, all I really need to do is avoid doing the things discussed in this last video and all will be well.  Thanks to all of you, and I’ll undoubtedly be soliciting you for advice as I go along.  This’ll be fun!

share save 171 16 First the Egg
Elizabeth Bird About Elizabeth Bird

Elizabeth Bird is currently New York Public Library's Youth Materials Collections Specialist. She has served on Newbery, written for Horn Book, and has done other lovely little things that she'd love to tell you about but that she's sure you'd find more interesting to hear of in person. Her opinions are her own and do not reflect those of NYPL, SLJ, or any of the other acronyms you might be able to name. Follow her on Twitter: @fuseeight.

Comments

1. Peter says:

This gives new meaning to “A Fuse #8 Production”!

Congrats to you and and your husband!

Peter

2. Elizabeth Bird says:

Ha! Thanks, Peter! And well-spotted. If I have a second I’ll have to change the blog name to “A Further Fuse #8 Production”.

3. Gregory K. says:

Well, that deserves a big old w00t! Congrats and “yay” and all that good stuff. Well worth missing ALA, though maybe a nice New Orleans inspired name is in order….

4. Abigail says:

Congratulations to you and Matt! Wishing you a healthy and easy pregnancy.

5. Lauren says:

Congratulations! The year I gave birth a week after Halloween, I did indeed paint my belly like a giant jack-o-lantern. I freaked out some little trick-or-treaters, but the parents loved it!

6. tanita says:

Oh, see, that last song is my FAVORITE song of theirs – and is SO WRONG since it came out when my sister was making her second Davis production. I sang it under my breath a great deal… but you, of course, will not be smug. Not at all. Naaah. Never.

7. AZ says:

Congrats and Elations!

8. Andrée says:

Bravo! Bravissimo! Et bonne chance pour la plus grande aventure de votre vie!

9. Jennifer in GA says:

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I envy you child’s book collection. ;)

10. Congratulations on your news – anything to get library membership figures up…

11. Meeks says:

Big congrats! A new little reader. :)

12. HUZZAH!!! HUZZAH!!!! HUZZAH!!!

13. Linda Urban says:

wonderful news!
    Maybe Bayou Bird.

14. Congratulations! We’ll send beignets and anything else you’re craving from New Orleans…what a lucky, lucky child to call you Mom.

15. Lindsey Lane says:

Oh bravo.
    Oh congratulations.
    Oh well done.

16. Congratulations! I was hoping I’d get a chance to meet you in person at ALA this year, but I think this is rather more exciting than that!

17. Callie Feyen says:

Many congratulations! Hope you’re feeling well and enjoying the pregnancy.

18. mhg says:

YES! Yes! YES! Those bird wings look like mermaid tails.

19. I always hope that Mondays will begin with some good news. I can’t imagine anything better than this. Thanks for sharing and congratulations to you and your husband!

20. Chris in NY says:

Hurray for the chickadee!

21. Cindy says:

Congratulations!

22. Tasha says:

Congratulations! You are going to be one amazing Mom!

23. Kate Coombs says:

Congratulations! Maybe you could do what my friends did, which was to take a photo of her growing belly every single day till the baby was born and then put all of the photos in a scrapbook. (I think they were being ironic, not smug.)

You know, you could always honor a famous author and/or illustrator with your name choice. Like maybe Maurice Sendak Bird? Or just Sendak Bird… Perhaps not. But a character, that would be good. How about Charlotte Bird, after the world’s greatest spider? I suppose Artemis Fowl Bird would be a tad redundant, plus AF is sort of a supervillain. But there are so many possibilities!

• Elizabeth Bird says:

Thanks, everyone!!! And I admit that the lure of “Sendak Bird” is strong (though I’ve still not quite gotten over the sheer awesomeness of “Chronicle Bird” quite yet). We’ve names in place already. One is perhaps the most iconic male name in children’s literary history. The girl’s name . . . well, it’s not quite a literary name specifically. But it sounds darn good with the last name “Bird”. To Be Continued . . . .

24. Dan Blank says:

Congratulations!!!!!

25. Cynthia Lord says:

How wonderful! I’m so happy for you and Matt!

26. Steph says:

A baby bird! So happy for you.

27. Angela Carstensen Liz B says:

congratulations!

28. Victoria Stapleton says:

Wahoooooooo!!!!!!! A star shall be born!!!

29. Betsy–

Congrats! And whatever name you choose, you really need that wrist band that says “Baby Bird” (although I imagine it will say “Baby (insert boy or girl) Bird,” but maybe if you ask nicely? :)

30. To your and Baby Bird’s health! You DO have the best opportunity for punny baby nicknames EVER. I used to call MY babies baby birds, and I didn’t have nearly as good an excuse! (I second Kate’s suggestion about choosing a literary name for real, though; probably because I also gave both my kids literary-inspired names, and i’m NOT a world-famous awesome librarian-blogger! Well, a librarian-blogger, but that’s about it).

31. Genevieve says:

Mazel tov! And hip hip hooray!! Very exciting times await you, Betsy and Matt. You stand on the cusp of a lovely adventure.

Ah, literary names – so much fun to choose, so many excellently named authors and characters for inspiration. I will also point you to that excellent resource, babynamewizard, which shows you graphs of names’ frequency over the decades, as well as other cool info.

32. Janelle says:

Very exciting news! Congrats! Now the important question. What book will you read to Baby Bird first, upon arrival?

33. Scope Notes says:

Dang, talk about upping the ante on “Nonfiction Monday”.
    Congrats to you and your husband! Awesome news!

34. Wonderful news! So happy that you and your husband are both in good health. What a blessing. In the upcoming months (err, YEARS), don’t feel like you have to keep with your regular blogging schedule.

However, do let us know how many copies you receive of Love You Forever.

“One is perhaps the most iconic male name in children’s literary history.”

Mo Bird?

• Elizabeth Bird says:

Tee hee. Mo. No, it’s not Mo (I feel like Rumpelstiltskin now, and no… we’re not naming the child Rumpelstiltskin Bird or Rumpy for short). Noun last names are definitely the best. Still chuckling over Polly Esther Shirts.

35. How’s about Blue Bird? ‘Cause it’s bringing happiness, right? Congratulations.

By the way — whoa, I LOVE the “Make Room for Baby” website. I’m currently at 37 weeks, myself (due Jan. 19) and it’s kind of gratifying to see a diagram demonstrating exactly why I feel so uncomfortable all the time.

Collecting odd names for your brood IS quite fun when you have an object-noun surname, isn’t it? I’m a fan of “Tucker Shirts” (“is Tucker Shirts in?”) or Polly Esther Shirts.

Good luck with the morning sickness and don’t feel guilty about embarking on the weirdest diet known to mankind. Whatever gets you through, girl.

36. Carol Hinz says:

Congratulations to you and Matt!! It’s quite an adventure!

37. Elizabeth Dingmann says:

Congratulations to you both! What a lucky kid!

38. Yay, Betsy! Congratulations! Or, is it more proper to say “Best Wishes?” Whatever the case, I’m sending you loads of happy thoughts accompanied with much jumping up and down and flapping of the arms. We Parrotts are greatly anticipating the emergence of your wee Baby Bird. :–) Tweet!

39. Sondy says:

Great big huge congratulations for your little tiny nestling, Betsy! You will LOVE motherhood! If you think reading children’s books is fun now, wait until you get to read to your own hatchling!

40. Sondy says:

Betsy, I’m 3rd of 13 children named Hatch. Although verbs are more difficult than nouns (You can’t use helping verbs like Will, May, or Kenny.), the avian theme is similar.

41. Congratulations, Betsy and Matt! Just think of all of the amazing books your child will have to read! You’re in for a fun adventure! My literary name recommendation (which I’m sure you will get hundreds of)… Scout Finch Bird. Just think, it could work for a boy or a girl :)

42. Terri Reden says:

Congratulations Betsy! On behalf of all of us at Lerner Publishing Group, we couldn’t be happier for you and look foward to following along your adventures with Test Subject A.

43. Congratulations Betsy! You’re going to be a GREAT mom!! And what a well-read baby you’ll have! :) e

44. Klonghall says:

Congrats! Fabulous news for a Monday. Wow! Look at all the well wishes you’ve received from authors today! I love seeing who all reads your blog. We’re in mighty good company here!

45. lisainberlin says:

Wow! What about Bobjay Bird…then you can call him jaybird for short. Maybe Mo Willems would paint the pigeon on there for you…so many possibilities! My heartfelt congratulations to one of my favorite bloggers!

46. jenny says:

Most iconic male name in children’s literary history? Milo.

Milo Bird. I like it.

47. Congratulations!

48. laurel says:

Oh, wow! Mightily, crazily, warmly thrilled for you.

It’s okay to blog in a vaguely mommish way, as long as you remember to cuss a bit.

49. Meghan says:

Congratulations!!! How wonderful for you and your husband! Gosh, what will you do if it doesn’t love to read?!

50. Judy Freeman says:

Oh my! And to think I e-mailed you this morning not even suspecting there was such amazing news! I’m just thrilled for you. What fun, not counting the smushed intestines. You could name him the Lord God Bird if he’s feisty, but Gooney Bird has already been taken by Miss Greene. Here’s hoping the next 1/2 year is a breeze.
    Judy Freeman

51. Karen Gray Ruelle says:

Mazel tov, Betsy, to you and the hubby! How exciting! And I”m glad to see you’re doing your bit to expand our audience . . . !

52. Holly says:

Congratulations, Betsy! What a lucky child to grow up in a home full of amazing books!

53. sheela says:

This made me laugh because I’m sure I’m one of those mommy bloggers. I think you will balance the mommy and blogger role splendidly. Besides, we will want to know what Baby Bird has to say from time to time. Congratulations! Enjoy the ride!

54. Gwen Taylor says:

Oh Betsy, I’m so happy for you and for the baby too who will have such a wonderful mother (father too I’m sure).

55. Jennifer Ralston says:

Betsy! I am so happy for you! You will be a truly wonderful mom, I just know. It is such good news!
    Jennifer

56. Catherine says:

Congratulations! I’m so happy for you!

57. Joanne Fritz says:

I’m still laughing about Baby Bird.

Babies are such miracles. Wait until it’s a Big Bird… (I have two sons in their twenties).

Congrats and best wishes! Get all the sleep you can. You’ll need it.

58. Token Tim says:

CONGRATULATIONS!! We are so happy for you (and what a lucky baby) :-)

You even got the girl with the dead tooth from “Raising Hope” to sing a song on your blog! Wow!

Great big hugs from Ohio for you & baby bird!

59. Kate says:

Glad you could slip in some Garfunkel and Oates in there :)

60. mary says:

such happy, happy news…congratulations!

61. Abby says:

Congratulations, Betsy!

62. Hooray! Hooray!

63. david e says:

awesomesauce! congrats and best wishes.

64. alvina says:

Wow, CONGRATULATIONS!!! I’m late to the party, I know. Can’t wait to meet the little birdie!

65. I wholeheartedly endorse this baby.

66. Sharon says:

Congratulations on the Baby Bird!

67. Els Kushner says:

Oh gosh! Mazal tov!

68. Erica Perl says:

I had a hunch when you blogged about “Chronicle Bird”! Congrats, Betsy. I am so very excited for you!

69. Fran Manushkin says:

A zillion congrats to you and Matt! For a literary name, can you can’t beat BABY BEEBEE BIRD BIRD!

70. WOW! Congratulations! The best life changing news ever.

71. Congratulations! What wonderful, happy news. And after skimming the comments you now have me mulling over iconic boy names in children’s literature (Harry? Wilbur? Max? Hmm. . .) Best wishes to you for a happy, healthy pregnancy!

72. Kathy DeWeese says:

so happy for you! congrats!!!!

73. Don says:

I have 7 months to find “Baby’s first karaoke set,” if one exists, as I feel pretty confident your birdling will have all the books it could hope to read. Congrats you you both.

74. CONGRATULATIONS!! I am so very glad for you. There’s nothing like a young one to brighten up a home. Are you ordering books for the bambino already? What will the first thing you read to–wait a minute, when will you know if it’s a him or her? (or did I miss something?)

• Elizabeth Bird says:

Oh boy. I hadn’t thought of that. A What Will I Read First? posting is definitely in order. And, for that matter, requires some major thought. Good thinking, Carl.

75. My Boaz's Ruth says:

I found it!

Don’t be surprised if your little one rejects books for a while. Other than the newborn stage where my DS could not control what I read to him, he studiously rejected books, preferring to run and play, until he was over a year old. The first book he sat on my lap and let me read him was Doggies by Sandra Boynton.

yeah, I still have a fondness for that book

Now that he’s a BIG BOY of 3, every book I read, he wants to read too. And last night he was “reading” The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle without even having the book (and thus pictures) in front of him to remind him.

76. My Boaz's Ruth says:

(The first book we have pictures of him with was a Vorsokigan book I was reading while (trying to) breastfeed. He put his hand on it as if to claim it!

77. Laura says:

Congrautlations!! (Sorry I’m so late!) What wonderful news!

78. My Boaz's Ruth says:

Any new news about the chick yet?