A Fuse #8 Production
Inside A Fuse #8 Production

Video Sunday: We skip the light fandango

Boynton Video Sunday: We skip the light fandango

Loathe though I am to begin my day with anything spawned from the soul of Fox, this look at the world of Sandra Boynton is worth watching.  I like that they shot much of it at the children’s bookstore Books of Wonder (which, if I am not incorrect, still has the Boynton show up and running, so high thee hence and see it if you have a chance).  Thanks to 100 Scope Notes for the link.

So I’m reading the piece SLJ reporter Rocco Staino wrote for the Huffington Post (with the catchy title Family Greed Separates Charlotte from Wilbur and I notice he has a video up of the recent auctioning of Charlotte’s Web art.

All well and good.  But then I see that Mr. Rocco has his own YouTube channel of videos.  Out of curiosity I follow the link and voila!  A whole host of cool videos!  Interviews with Mem Fox, Jules Feiffer, Norton Juster, and even Selena Gomez (hubba wha?).  Best of all, I see that he posted a little video of my Children’s Literary Salon that talked about the state of children’s eBooks.  Fascinating.

The YA author James Kennedy recently unearthed this video he made with some kids at the South Chicago Art Center back in the day.  First off, it’s a great example of how to do low-budget film.  Second, I love the kids’ acting.  James explains that a lot of this was ad-libbed, but I couldn’t tell.

Boys Video Sunday: We skip the light fandango

Okay, I guess this is off-topic, but I’m almost tempted to make it count since the last song involves The Ugly Duckling.  At any rate, it’s not a video in the strict sense of the term since this is from the Radio 4 Comedy I’m Sorry I Haven’t a Clue (winner of the Most English Sounding Comedy Show Award).  My beloved Robert Mitchell begins it with a rendition of A Whiter Shade of Pale sung to The Muppet Show theme song and . . . well it really just goes from there.  The HMS Pinafore song is worth waiting around for.

Thanks to @kzookev for the link.

share save 171 16 Video Sunday: We skip the light fandango
Elizabeth Bird About Elizabeth Bird

Elizabeth Bird is currently New York Public Library's Youth Materials Collections Specialist. She has served on Newbery, written for Horn Book, and has done other lovely little things that she'd love to tell you about but that she's sure you'd find more interesting to hear of in person. Her opinions are her own and do not reflect those of NYPL, SLJ, or any of the other acronyms you might be able to name. Follow her on Twitter: @fuseeight.

Comments

1. Julia Karr says:

What a delightful way to take a break from writing! The Radio 4 Comedy clip is hilarious! Thanks!

2. JMyersbook says:

Oh wow, I’d almost forgotten “Hippo Birdies Two Ewe.” I’ve bought multiple copies of that card, in my (and its) day! And “I’m Sorry, I Haven’t A Clue” recording is a hoot. :)

3. Thanks for linking to my little science-fiction short, Betsy! Special thanks to the folks at Industrial Light and Magic.

4. Ed Spicer says:

And you DO have a copy of Moo Baa La La La (is this the original titles???) I can’t tell you how many times I read this one to Max and Penni back in the day. The good thing is that unlike one book in particular that shall go nameless on this blog, I liked reading this one. Many ways to perform it! And as I type, I can still drag up “Oh NO” you say, “That isn’t right, the pigs say oink all day and night (all day and night, all day and night, the pigs say oink all day and night–free echo-chamber rap riff at no extra charge). Mind you, the last time I read this book was close to 20 years ago!

I think you need to have a blog post requesting essential board books for Betsy; Moo Baa La La La would be on my list.

• Elizabeth Bird says:

Ed, you read my mind. Just in time for the Christmas season too. I think Recommend Betsy Some Board books will have to be a post that goes up this week.

5. jenny says:

James Kennedy’s boys obviously went to the William Shatner School of Acting — brilliant!

6. Karen Gray Ruelle says:

Wow! That was fun!

7. @Jenny I take that as a stratospherically high compliment!

8. Philip Nel says:

Love the Boynton video, but especially love I’m Sorry But I Haven’t a Clue! “Whiter Shade of Pale” to the Muppet Show theme was great, but “Girlfriend in a Coma” to the tune of “Tiptoe Through the Tulips” was outstanding! The Gilbert and Sullivan version of “Psycho Killer” was positively brilliant!

9. Gregory K. says:

Oh, man, that audio clip is fantastic! Thanks for sharing that.