A Fuse #8 Production
Inside A Fuse #8 Production

How Much Is KidLitCon? Would You Believe . . . Free?

There’s been a change of plans.

That’s putting it mildly.  In any case, I have some big news for you guys.  Remember KidLitCon the yearly gathering of children’s literature and YA literature bloggers?  It’s in its sixth year and it’s in New York City this time.  Unlike previous years we haven’t been able to block out hotels for you guys, and the city’s expensive.  Getting here’s expensive.  Don’t even get me started about the food.

Well, some backing and forthing went down yesterday and the result is this: While the PreCon will still cost the minimal $35 without dinner and $55 with (a steal in this town), the Saturday conference (awesome keynote speaker announcement to be announced very soon) is free.

The New Money:
Before September 21st:

• $35 Pre-Conference without dinner
  • $0 Saturday Conference
  • $55 Pre-Conference with dinner (special guest speaker: Grace Lin)
  • $50 Friday dinner (extra diner or only)

I don’t think I can sweeten the pot any sweeter than this. You really don’t have any reason not to register now, do you?  So head on over to the registration page and join us on Friday the 28th and Saturday the 29th for KidLitCon 2012.

share save 171 16 How Much Is KidLitCon?  Would You Believe . . . Free?
Elizabeth Bird About Elizabeth Bird

Elizabeth Bird is currently New York Public Library's Youth Materials Collections Specialist. She has served on Newbery, written for Horn Book, and has done other lovely little things that she'd love to tell you about but that she's sure you'd find more interesting to hear of in person. Her opinions are her own and do not reflect those of NYPL, SLJ, or any of the other acronyms you might be able to name. Follow her on Twitter: @fuseeight.

Comments

1. So. Close.

So close to actually getting to go to a cool convention filled with like-minded people!

FREE! That’s in my price range! And, oh my gosh, I’m ACTUALLY GOING TO BE IN NYC IN LATE SEPTEMBER.

The weekend before. ONE WEEKEND OFF.

:P

2. Sharon says:

Would that I could afford to go to NYC to be there, but I’m blowing vacation time and money the weekend before to go to D.C. for the National Book Festival. Have loads of fun without me!

3. Sondy says:

This is going to be. So. Awesome. !!!!

4. Lorelei and Isaiah's Mommy says:

would you believe this conflicts with both the maker faire (new york hall of science, queens) and the medieval festival (fort tryon park, washington heights)?

• Elizabeth Bird says:

Oh, and that’s true about the Maker Faire and the Medieval Festival. Think of it this way: They happen in New York every year. KidLitCon? This may be your only chance.

5. Sheila Ruth says:

Free is good! Thanks for all your work organizing this. I understand that you couldn’t get a hotel block, but do you have any recommendations? I know New York hotels are expensive, but it would be great if we could find one or two nearby places so that we can all be in the same hotel. At most of the conferences I’ve been to, some of the best conversations have taken place in the hotel bar after hours.

• Elizabeth Bird says:

Yes indeed! Recommendations I can provide. I included a link to some of them on the previous KidLitCon message. If you look there you’ll see the listing. If you’d like personal recommendations let me know and I’ll see what I can do.

6. Mary Lee says:

Thanks for the clarification! So much for a typo…but you can understand why I thought $0 was a typo!!

HUZZAH!!

7. Sondy says:

Betsy, I’ve found two roommates . . . but we’re also at a loss where to stay. The list on that link is LONG! And is it easy to get to the library via subway? Would we find less expensive hotels further out, but still easy to reach via subway? Any ideas about lodging would be helpful. I’m with Sheila on that, because I’d love to be heading to the same place as other KidLitCon people. I’ve been in NYC a couple times before, but have never spent the night or gotten myself there. I’ve ridden on subways in Paris and London and DC, but never NYC – so I’m a little daunted.

Trackbacks

1. [...] do have an exciting thing to tell you. If you’re a book blogger and are headed to KidLitCon in New York City this year—September 28 and 29! (and the Saturday conference is entirely [...]

2. [...] for KidLitCon 2012 is open until Sept. 21–Fuse #8 has all the [...]