A Fuse #8 Production
Inside A Fuse #8 Production

This Bird Has Flown

Bram Stoker had this to say about Chicago: It, “neither fears the devil nor troubles its head about him and all his works.”ย  So in light of my recent move, and in celebration of this (my first day), I offer the following to you:

Goodbye Library

(With profuse apologies to Margaret Wise Brown, who would find it hilarious that a NYPL children’s materials specialist was referencing one of her books)

Goodbye, branches 89

NYPLBranches
Goodbye, pretty Lego lions

LegoLions

Goodbye, Winnie. Goodbye, Pooh

Camera- Leaf Aptus22/ Hasselblad H1 Color space-ProPhotoRGB Date- 4/10/08

Camera- Leaf Aptus22/ Hasselblad H1
Color space-ProPhotoRGB
Date- 4/10/08

Goodbye, toys (still missing Roo)

Winnie-the-Pooh

Goodbye, Mary Poppins umbrella

MaryPoppinsUmbrella
Goodbye to this striking fella

Andersen

Goodbye, Plaza and Eloise

EloisePortrait
Goodbye, statue no one sees

AliceStatue2

Goodbye, Children’s Lit Salon

LitSalon
Goodbye, tourists from Milan

eurotrash

Goodbye, Peter. Goodbye, Willie.

WhistleWillieStatue
Goodbye, Kid Lit Drink Nights (really!)

KidlitDrinkNight

Goodbye, overpriced Bemelmans Bar

bemelmans
Goodbye, not having to own a car

subwayalice

Goodbye, Beauty

Beauty
Goodbye, Truth

Truth

Goodbye, Times Square ads uncouth

TimesSquare

Goodbye, Fortitude (on right)

Fortitude
Goodbye, Patience and goodnight

patience

Goodbye, city. This Bird is gone

B.Bird
Hello, gorgeous Evanston!

EvanstonPublic

About Elizabeth Bird

Elizabeth Bird is currently the Collection Development Manager of the Evanston Public Library system and a former Materials Specialist for New York Public Library. She has served on Newbery, written for Horn Book, and has done other lovely little things that she'd love to tell you about but that she's sure you'd find more interesting to hear of in person. Her opinions are her own and do not reflect those of EPL, SLJ, or any of the other acronyms you might be able to name. Follow her on Twitter: @fuseeight.

Comments

1. What a fitting farewell. Look forward to hearing about your new adventures at Evanston, because we’ll still be hanging out with you on Fuse#8.

2. C Baker says:

What the heck is up with that map? Since when is Staten Island *north* of Manhattan? As a Staten Islander, this is a travesty.

• Elizabeth Bird says:

I would think you’d approve! Clearly it is lifting Staten Island to a lofty summit, high above the mere rabble of the other boroughs. Or it’s teeny tiny and they crammed it into the only space they had left. One of the two.

3. Karen Gray Ruelle says:

Gosh, I’d always wondered which one was Patience and which was Fortitude.
    So, here goes:

Betsy, all the very best
    Back and settled in, Midwest.

We will miss you in New York,
    Something something something fork. . .

4. Well played. And best wishes for your new gig!

5. Sorry, but I’m still in denial and will be for a while, expect it. I got such a thrill when I saw the mailbox pic. BIG Smile.

6. Susan Miles says:

Welcome to a Great Lakes’ State! One step closer to Michigan! ๐Ÿ˜‰

7. Lucky Evanston!Thanks for the wonderful picture tour! Forgot about some of those finds!

8. Jeanne birdsall says:

But, Betsy, how is the mudroom? I miss you already. Surely do.

• Elizabeth Bird says:

The mudroom is everything it was promised to be and more. I miss you too. SO mad I can’t see your program tomorrow. GAH!

9. Betsy,
    As you start your new journey, Evanston is lucky to have you and I hope to see you at some point in the Chicago suburbs!

10. Amy Duffy says:

Congrats on your new gig! The Chicago area is lucky to have you!

11. I’m not going to miss you because I am going to make sure that I see you in Chicago! I will come visit and we will have deep dish pizza, take in some excellent improv theater, go to the Art Institute, float in a boat on the lake…by the time I get there you will have new list of favorite things about that city. Bon voyage and see you soon!

12. Welcome to Chicago-land, we are honored to have you join us!

13. Wishing you a happy first chapter in Evanston! I look forward to seeing/hearing all about your new neck-of-the-woods โ€” and of course, your ever-mind blowing book insights! Cheers, Joy

14. ChrisinNY says:

So happy for you! The daughter starts her MSIS this month- and her Tumblr/list serve buddies were over the moon because the NYPL was hiring after so many years of a freeze. I figured it was because they would have to hire many to replace you.

• Elizabeth Bird says:

You are adorable. They’re hiring 45 children’s librarians, so now my ego is just stoked. Truth be told, it’s all Bill de Blasio’s doing, but I’ll be happy to steal the credit.

15. Deborah Ford says:

Adorable! Wishing you the best in your new adventures!

16. Love and luck in your new adventures … Lee

17. Nice poetry, Betsy! And congratulations on your new position! May it all be fortuitous.

18. Many, many congrats on your new life in Chi-town. I know it’ll be great.

19. Bridgid Shannon says:

Congratulations! Happy first week in Evanston. I think you’re going to love it there. I have no doubt that you and the Evanston literary community are about to do some amazing things together. What has been a thriving community of artists, writers, storytellers and readers can only continue to grow. All the best and congrats on the mud room.
    PS- Good luck unpacking all the books!
    PPS- When you’re missing the lions venture down to the Art Institute :)

20. Patricia Toht says:

A tardy welcome to Chi-town, Betsy! We’re happy to have you here!