Battle of the Books

2013 Judge: Frank Cottrell Boyce

Frank is extremely excited about being The Big Kahuna,  as it is the first time in his entire life that he has ever been referred to as “big” anything.  His own younger brother is much much taller than he is so that all the way through school he was referred to as “Little Frankie”  (even though he is NOT THAT LITTLE).  Now at last the World will see that even little people can be big.  He has already had his Big Kahuna business cards printed and bought himself an “I am the BIG Kahuna” hat.

Frank’s books include Millions, Cosmic and the sequels to Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.  He was also the writer of the 2012 Olympic Games Opening Ceremony,  where he was known as “the little chap who made the Queen jump out of a helicopter.”

2013 Judge: Frank Cottrell Boyce

Comments

1. DaNae says:

No freaking way! Since I first saw MILLIONS I’ve been a fan and then to find out he turned his talents to Children’s books!!!! THE FORGOTTEN COAT is such a masterpiece.

(He also just made me use “freaking” in a sentence for perhaps the first time in my life.}

2. Heidi says:

I LOVE this man’s books. To hear he is responsible for the Queen’s helicopter jump seems so right. I also love the way the judges have been revealed this year. It really prolongs the pleasure of this event.

3. Chelle says:

So excited. I love his books, and can’t wait to hear what he does with the finals!!!

4. Sondy says:

Go, Big Kahuna! (And make the right choice!)

5. Donna says:

The Battle is going “great guns” in my high school library! I took predictions yesterday on the Bomb vs. Wonder contest, and it came out a TIE! Now we wait for the judge’s decision.

6. Mary says:

Great choice, SLJ!! Millions and Framed rank among my favorite books. We’re eagerly awaiting Round One at our library!

7. DaNae says:
  8. Genevieve says:

LOVE Millions and Cosmic, so glad to see he’s the Big Kahuna! And had no idea he was responsible for the helicopter jump – that’s terrific.

9. Karen Maurer says:

He made the Queen jump out of a helicopter and he thinks he’s never been big!!!! I thought the whole opening at the Olympics was so (trying to think of a word that means awesome but isn’t amazing or incredible, hmmm…) so good! Frank Cottrell Boyce – the Ultimate Big Kahuna>