Battle of the Books

The 2015 Contenders — Any Guesses?

We will be announcing this year’s contenders on January 14th.  Any guesses?

Comments

1. I cannot wait to find out the new list! I’m terrible at guessing, but Brown Girl Dreaming is the obvious choice.

2. Brown Girl Dreaming, Revolution, The Night Gardener, West of the Moon. Maybe We Were Liars? I’m pulling for The Great Greene Heist to be in there as well!

3. Kristine A says:

I bet you’ll skip brown girl dreaming for Crossover as the MG verse novel. Hmm, what else? Last year rocked me by not having my obvious choices. So I’ll lean unorthodox this year, maybe instead of Romanov you’ll have another top nonfiction. Let me get back to you with a longer list…

4. Robin Willis Robin Willis says:

How about Kinda Like Brothers? I’d love to see Illusions of Fate on there.

5. Benji Martin says:

I’m hoping Night Gardener makes the list. Brown Girl Dreaming and Romanov should be in there. I would love to see the Riverman make the list.

6. Eric Carpenter says:

I think these first 12 are locks for this year’s BoB:
    Brown Girl Dreaming
    Egg and Spoon
    El Deafo
    Family Romanov
    Fourteenth Goldfish
    Grasshopper Jungle
    Poisoned Apples: Poems for You, My Pretty
    Revolution
    This One Summer
    A Volcano Beneath the Snow
    We Were Liars
    West of the Moon

I’m not as confident about the other four titles but I would guess they will come from some combination of these eight:
    How I Discovered Poetry
    I’ll Give You the Sun
    The Key that Swallowed Joey Pigza
    The Madman of the Piney Woods
    The Night Gardener
    Port Chicago 50
    The Red Pencil
    The Riverman (I’m really hoping for this one!)

7. Battle Commander Battle Commander says:

All we have to say is….bwahaha (especially to Eric:)

8. I would put money on GRASSHOPPER JUNGLE.

Also:

WINNER’S CURSE
    MISADVENTURES OF THE FAMILY FLETCHER
    BOYS OF BLUR

Have ambivalence for:
    WEST OF THE MOON
    EGG & SPOON

Well reviewed but still unread:
    THIS ONE SUMMER
    GLORY O’BRIAN
    I’LL GIVE YOU THE SUN

• Eric Carpenter says:

I just couldn’t finish Family Fletcher. Something about this idea that soccer is a sport worth carrying about just annoyed the hell out of me. Reading descriptions of kids (or anyone else for that manner) playing soccer is almost as boring as watching soccer.

• A completely unbiased critique. I suppose the Penderwicks are lost on you as well? :) Let’s hope Clementine never takes up the sport.

• Eric Carpenter says:

I love the Penderwicks with all my heart. Though I will be very disappoint if there are soccer scenes in the newest one.

9. Carol Melichar says:

I am so happy! I love Battle of the Kids Books. Usually I haven’t read many and have to scramble to read them/ get them. What am I hoping to see? My favorites are Crossover, Poisoned Apples and El Deafo. And I am not particularly fond of either verse novels or graphic novels. These three I recommend like crazy.

I can’t wait for tomorrow!

10. With only a little bit of research and thought……..
    1.The Family Romanov
    11. Ophelia and the Marvelous Boy
    12. Egg & Spoon
    13. West of the Moon
    14. Gabi, a Girl in Pieces
    15. The Winner’s Curse
    16. The Night Gardener
    Looking back over I’m probably way too heavy on YA and I wouldn’t be surprised if Vango replaced any one of these. My guesses are often heavily influenced by feeling like this is a place for books that are not eligible for/have little shot a some of the major awards to get some recognition and play (hence my inclusion of Ophelia and the Marvelous Boy and El Deafo in particular). Can’t believe they’ll be announced already! So exciting!