Bowllan's Blog
Inside Bowllan's Blog

Bowllan’s Inauguration Coverage – Should I Have Brought The Kids?

What a day? It’s 7:51 pm and only now have I been able to access wireless service for my laptop.

That said, I spent the early part of the morning preparing for my trip to the inauguration, and was fortunate to have my husband and kids drive me – very early - to NYC’s, Penn Station, for a very quiet and tired send off.

I felt a little sad leaving because I know a small part of me will be different when I return home. Not to mention, my children begged to come with me. And I am sure I will always have regrets about not bringing them, since I do see kids here. But it would have been hard for me – carrying bags and the like.

So I ask you, if you had the opportunity, would you bring your kids to the inauguration?

Anyway, the footage was shot by my husband, Mark, and this type of video – is called a natural sound piece (natsot)…meaning, the story tells itself.  Take a look.

Comments

1. Kakie Fitzsimmons says:

Nice video. I think if any parent had the opportunity we would if it didn’t involve work or if we could afford to bring a spouse/nanny along to help. I am sure it was a tough decision for you. That being said, the gift and BLESSING in all of this is that you are a journalist and by simply writing about the experience and documenting it on video, that alone can be an awesome legacy to share with them. Just in a different way. For those of us who can not go, we appreciate you sharing your journey with us.

2. Agy says:

So EXCITING, even if it’s low key. One of the things about conferences which is the only thing I can compare it to, which of COURSE is NOT the same, is maintaining that energy level. I look forward to your reflections of HOW this has changed you, Amy! Your kids are beautiful (son has your eyes). I dunno it’s a tough call. I would love to think I would share the moment with my daughters, especially if they were interested. But that could be fanciful thinking, because I tend to be overprotective, type-A with my children. On the other hand as a young girl scout circa 1970, my week stay in DC and being caught up in earth day (boy was I made fun of a lost Cadet Scout in a vast sea of hippies!) was a transforming experience for me!

I guess what I’m thinking is there were no incorrect decisions, only hard ones. Try not to live with regret, life is far too short! Have a WONDERFUL week and journey!

3. Agy says:

And what Kakie Fitz said!

4. christina says:

hi mom

5. jc says:

ok aim im, with you
    hows it going

6. Dennis says:

it was a pleasure sitting next to you this morning on the train. good luck in DC- we’ll be at the national building museum for the commander in chief ball

7. Amy Bowllan says:

Hi everyone,

just wanted to send off a quick thanks for your insights and support. Ah, my aching back today :) And I am off to find the Blair House for Community Service.
    Dennis it was great! THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!!! I still can’t find my files but the sun will come out tomorrow. :)
    Jack, I am well and sore. I need to invest in a rolling bag.
    Okay…gtg.

8. Dan Blank says:

I feel like I am on the journey with you!

9. LIZ BURNS says:

Important “do I take kids” factors:
    – are clean bathrooms readily available?
    – how crowded will it be?
    – how easy to find one another if separated in crowd?
    Based on all of those, I think not taking them was the smart move.

10. Amy Bowllan says:

Dan, you are and have been on this journey with me ;)

Liz, you are so right. Everyone is walking around with babywipes because toilet paper won’t be available. And…the kids I have seen just over the past 24 hours look shell shocked. I am off for more footage. Thanks