Bowllan's Blog
Inside Bowllan's Blog

My Summer Reading List and other things

Today is my son’s 12th birthday and he has been sulking all day. It may be because his teacher, whom he  My Summer Reading List and other thingsadored, was not rehired for next year. It’s tough when students get attached to their teachers and then the unexpected occurs. Needless to say, I had to vent that piece of my life, before I wrote this post – which comes with a heavy heart.

Here’s the short list of what I am reading this summer, and I must say the genres range. But I need MORE book suggestions, and am asking, pleading, and begging for suggestions.

Neil Armstrong Is My Uncle a novel by Nan Marino (Roaring Book Press, NY, 2009)
neil armstrong My Summer Reading List and other things

Deep in the Heart of High School by Veronica Goldbach (Farrar Straus Giroux, NY, 2009)
n310025 My Summer Reading List and other things

Mindset The New Psychology of Success by Carol S. Dweck, Ph.D. (Ballantine Books, NY, 2006)
9780345472328 My Summer Reading List and other things

Jemma Hartman, camper extraordinary by Brenda A. Ferber (Farrar, Straus and Giroux, NY, 2009)
n310336 My Summer Reading List and other things

Mr. Wellington by David Rabe (Roaring Book Press, NY, 2009)
 My Summer Reading List and other things

Comments

1. Mike mcqueen says:

I suggest Reading Dont Fix No Chevys. My favorite for getting boys to read, especially 12 year old boys :-)

2. Amy Bowllan says:

Thanks, Mike! I will order that one today! :)

3. George Edward Stanley says:

Well, since you’re PLEADING, maybe this won’t sound too self-serving. NIGHT FIRES is my latest, just out from Simon & Schuster – and it should be in your nearest library in a day or so. It’s about a 13-year-old boy in 1923 Lawton, Oklahoma, who, while looking for a father-figure, gets pulled into the Ku Klux Klan. (And let me share with you my “getting boys to read” story. Several summers ago, my email box was flooded with messages from parents telling me that my ADAM SHARP series (first chapter books from Random House) was responsible for getting their dyslexic young sons to read. What is even more amazing about this (at least to me) is that I myself am dyslexic. I was really astonished by this.

4. Amy Bowllan says:

George!!! Send me copies, PLEASE!!! *begging again* :)

5. George Edward Stanley says:

You got it! I’ll email you from my office later this morning to get some mailing info. (I really enjoy the blogs!) George

6. Amy Bowllan says:

Thanks, George! amy.bowllan@reedbusiness.com …would LOVE to review it! :)