Bowllan's Blog
Inside Bowllan's Blog

Writers Against Racism: The Blogroll

Fear not! The Writers Against Racism series has not ended.
images Writers Against Racism: The Blogroll
For me, it feels like there are so many knots to untangle, and so much to understand. I guess you can you sense my disappointment that not ONE publisher I reached out to responded. I wonder why?

But first…

It was important to first identify the insidiousness, yet wide-range of writers who have experienced racism.  And what I learned in a nutshell: we have writers of color working WAY TOO HARD to get their books published - and the few who are being published - are finding their books are not the first (if at all) to be listed on students’ reading lists. I found that out this summer. Then there are other authors whose books can serve as powerful teaching tools to explain the roots of racism, and the way things were, and they too are being overlooked. I guess the truths about history are not always welcome…especially in schools! Hence the W.A.R. series, and now the W.A.R. Blogroll.

The following blogroll will be listed on the sidebar of Bowllan’s Blog in the coming days. Take a look, and if  you know of any more blog(s) that should be added to the series, please leave me a note in the comment section.

Here are the W.A.R. as they appeared in the series. This also gives me another opportunity to thank each person for sharing their experiences.

Tockla’s World of Children’s Literature by Laura Atkins

Neesha Meminger

Nnedi’s Wahala Zone Blog by Nnedi Okorafor

BronzeWord Latino Authors by Jo Ann Yolanda Hernández

Black-Eyed Susan by LaTonya M. Baldwin, known as “Susan”

The Art of Jesse Watson by Jesse Joshua Watson

Reading in Color by Teen Writer, Arianna (aka Miss Attitude)

TheHappyNappyBookseller by Doret

David Yoo’s Blog

Varian Johnson’s Blog

Bobby River’s Blog

Fledgling the sky’s the limit by Zetta Elliott

George E. Stanley

School Library Journal’s, Bowllan’s Blog by Amy Bowllan

Comments

1. George Edward Stanley says:

Amy, thank you for all the work it took to make The Blogroll more accessible. All of us working together should be able to make someone see the light. We can’t continue using the same old reading lists! On the education front, though, things seem to change very slowly in this country. We should be reading literature about all the groups which make up the population of this country. We have the same problem in my area, foreign language education. We’re still VERY Eurocentric. We should be teaching Arabic, Chinese, Hindi, Persian, Swahili, etc… in the public schools of this country, the languages that most of the world’s population speak.

2. Amy says:

Ok, Amy, I’ve added several new blogs to my GoogleReader. Now, to get the sidebars on my Blog updated with all my new friends!

3. Doret says:

Finished Mary Ann Rodman’s Yankee Girl today. I loved it. I am happy Rodman was a part of the W.A.R. because I was able to discover a wonderful book.

Two more sites for your blogroll
    Papertigers
    Tarie’s – Into the Wardrobe

4. B Herrera says:

I check out many blogs, but seldom comment on them consistently. Since George pointed me in your direction, I find myself coming back time and again. your blogs are interesting and inspiring. They make me re-evaluate my ideas and remind me of all the people who have accepted me as I am. I have taught in eastern Oklahoma where the majority of my students were Native American, Lawton where most of my journalism students were white and my athletes were black(and the smartest kids in school), and in Laredo where Hispanics make up 97% of the population. What I have learned is that others will always judge you, but a refusal to accept that judgement is the often the difference between happiness and failure. I see people hurt every day by what others say. I can only tell them that the words only have power if we start believing them ourselves.

5. Amy Bowllan says:

Thanks for the additional blogs, Doret! Thanks, Amy!

B, I am sitting here at my desk and I must say, YOU made my morning. You explained the EXACT feeling I have gotten over the summer. It’s almost like an awakening of sorts. It’s all about “getting to know people.” Once we do, then our pre-conceived notions will disappear. We have more in common than we know. :)

6. Debra Harris Johnson says:

Amy, thanks for visiting my blog and reading some of my posts. Somehow, someway all our voices must come together in a way that can not be ignored. Your blog roll will be a step towards that means. Please include my blog on your roll.

7. Amy Bowllan says:

Debra,
    I will definitely add your blog. Sorry I haven’t responded yet to your e-mail. I promise I will. :)

8. Lyn Miller-Lachmann says:

Thank you for adding my blog, Flip the Page. I’ve been derelict this summer in terms of adding to the blog but just put together a piece on the portrayal of allies in middle grade/YA fiction that really should be posted there.