Bowllan's Blog
Inside Bowllan's Blog

Writers Against Racism: "NDLC 2010: From Groundwork to Action"

The following Writers Against Racism writers are heading to Princeton University this summer to participate in a panel discussion at the National Diversity in Libraries Conference.
DSCN2924 Writers Against Racism: "NDLC 2010: From Groundwork to Action"
Edi Campbell (Media Director – seen above)
LaTonya M. Baldwin (COLOR ONLINE  Literacy Advocate)
Amy Bodden Bowllan  (Blogger/Educator)
Doret   (Bookseller, A major bookstore chain)

Edi was kind and diligent enough to organize, write, and send the proposal (thanks to Zetta Elliot’s lead and her encouragement in having us submit.), and she just recently received the following notification from the NDLC committee.

"We were very impressed with the number and quality of proposals we received and I am pleased to inform you that we have accepted your proposal, Claiming the Center:  Online Community, Activism, and Advocacy."

This is truly thrilling!

And the fact that the theme for the conference is now available, we certainly have our work cut out for us in preparing for this honor.

The National Diversity in Libraries Conference (NDLC) is a biennial event that serves as a regional meeting for library staff members and interested parties to discuss diversity issues, especially issues common to the host region’s culture. With the theme, NDLC 2010: From Groundwork to Action, the conference will take place from July 14–16, 2010 in Princeton, New Jersey. (comes via NDLC’s official wiki)

Thanks, Zetta and Edi!

Comments

1. B Herrera says:

Congratulations. You’ll do a great job because you believe in what you are doing and have a positive attitude about accomplishing your goals. Wish I could be there to hear.

2. George Edward Stanley says:

Amy and everyone: This is fantastic news! Congratulations! Thanks for continuing to carry the message! On May 13-14, 2010, I’ll be one of the speakers at Bloomsburg (Pennsylvania) University’s 46th Annual Reading Conference – and in one of my presentations I’m going to talk about NIGHT FIRES and relate some of the stories of the WRITERS AGAINST RACISM! Onward and upward!

3. Ari Reading in Color says:

Ohh I wish I could go! I’m sure Zetta, Edi, Amy, LaTonya and Doret will represent well and do such a great job there and share what they learn :) Congrats Edi!!

4. Amy Bowllan says:

Thanks, B, George, and Ari! We have to keep this going. I really believe that there will be a day when we will look back on RACISM and say, “now what were we thinking.” Until then, we have to keep the spotlight on it. Happy Holidays to you all.

5. Jayne Walker says:

Hi Amy,
    I really appreciate your blogs against RACISM. Thanks for perservering about this topic and opening our eyes to the talent around us.
    Merry Christmas,
    Love Jayne

6. Vanessa Morris says:

Congrats Ladies! I intend to be there to support! Awesome – can’t wait! :-)

7. Jo Ann Hernandez says:

Congrats to all. Great work! Thank the Lord y’all are on our side!
    Jo Ann

8. Kelly Starling Lyons says:

Congratulations! Proud of your mission and grateful for all of your hard work. Keep empowering and soaring!