Bowllan's Blog
Inside Bowllan's Blog

Writers Against Racism: Connecting the Dots by Steve Jobs

The other day my good friend Cassandra Butcher sent me this belated blog birthday gift, and I wanted to share it with you, as it speaks to why we do what we do - as educators, parents, librarians, publishers, authors, etc. It’s a commencement speech delivered by Steve Jobs at Stanford University. His speech is indeed, timely, as I prepare Bowllan’s Blog for the next 5-years. And it’s well worth watching the entire 15-minutes.

Comments

1. George Edward Stanley says:

Stay hungry! Stay foolish! What incredibly wonderful instructions. Thank you, Amy!

2. Amy Bowllan says:

George, thank YOU, for being such an inspiration in so many ways to so many people! Hunger never tasted so good!!! :)

3. B Herrera says:

I agree that those things which might seem the end of the world to us at the time are often just the beginning of a new world. Those times are not easy, but we often need a hard push to move us into the right direction. It would be easier if we did it without these tough times, but when has life ever been easy?

4. Amy Bowllan says:

B, you are right on! Recently, I’ve been hearing how “tough” life is, from adults. And then I look around, only to find young people as idealistic as ever. That’s a good thing.

5. B Herrera says:

“Tough” is relative. For some it is doing without that European vacation. For others it is doing without supper. I’ve seen hard times used as an excuse for not succeeding, and also as an incentive for exceling.It is not what the experience does to you, but what you do with the experience that makes your life.

6. Amy Bowllan says:

Amen, B! I think it was the late Lena Horne who said, “it’s not the load you carry but how you carry it that makes the difference.” :)

7. B Herrera says:

That attitude has kept me going through some tough times. It beats giving up any day.