Thanks to the generosity of the folks at Ryland Peters & Small, Connect the Pop has three copies of the gorgeously creative A Zombie Ate My Cupcake to give away in honor of Halloween. Please bear in mind of course that that “gorgeously creative” evaluation comes from someone who’s definitely not a foodie (let alone a cupcake fan), but more of a “horror guy.” That’s how satisfying this book is aesthetically.
Moreover, the just-for-fun characterization of this giveaway’s headline belies a deeper truth in terms of teaching-and-learning with pop culture fandom… namely, that an engaging and artful collection of recipes like this one strongly suggests the various ways that genre-related content can be leveraged to spur the reading–and writing!–of highly practical, how-to texts. The tendency is to group fictional treatments of pop culture archetypes such as zombies with similar texts of fiction, but actually non-fiction texts such as this one can be far more reflective of fandom-based literacies: zombie fans will always look for ways to bring their fan-object into real-world (i.e., non-fiction) contexts and share it with others.
- You must have a U.S. or Canadian mailing address to which the book can be shipped.
- Leave a thoughtful comment on any post that is tagged with “horror” or “writing.”
- “@” me on Twitter with the hashtags #Zombies and #ConnectThePop in the tweet to let me know you’ve done this, and the date of the post where you left the comment. (I’m @Peter_Gutierrez.)
- Everyone who does these two things between now and 12:01 am ET on October 24 will be entered into the drawing.
- If you don’t have a Twitter account, just have a friend or colleague tweet on your behalf, letting me know which date and comment is associated with the tweet—but of course since the book might be sent to him/her (see #6 below), you’ll have to work it out from there. (Or just start your own Twitter account in a couple of minutes, and close it when this giveaway is over.)
- I’ll notify you on Twitter, not here, if you’ve won, and if you don’t respond within 48 hours, I’ll just draw another name. If you’re a winner, you’ll simply DM me your mailing address, which I will then pass along to the publisher, and we’ll be all set. Thanks!