Despite the sheer number of people on the convention floor, I still managed to pick up a few interesting news bites so far about comics and graphic novels for kids here in San Diego.
– With the big annoucement of further books in Jeff Smith’s Bone series, the press release did not mention that a Bone Handbook will be published sometime next year. Scholastic’s ‘handbooks’ are a big staple of their book clubs and book fairs and is the format that put the Pokemon brand into the hands of millions of children across North America. Expect character profiles, activities and more Boneville fun.
– Scholastic will also be publishing a new book by Doug TenNapel in 2010 called Ghostopolis.
– Lerner’s new series The Elsewhere Chronicles first published in France will be a 12-book series with 3 distinct story arcs of 4 books each. Artist Bannister told me that the fourth book has been written and should be published here in North America soon.
– For those who might have missed the announcement, IDW has signed a deal with writer Peter S. Beagle to publish comics and graphic novels based on The Last Unicorn.
– My pick of the show (or pick of the litter) so far is Lark Pien’s Long Tail Kitty. I’m a bit biased since I’m the proud owner of two Siamese cats but the book is just adorable and features five stories and bonus pages on how to draw the title character.