A press release from the good folks at TOON Books:
TOON Books launches blog for emerging readers!
NEW YORK, May 13, 2010 – TOON Books has created a Benny and Penny blog for emerging readers on its website. The interactive blog features the mice characters from creator Geoffrey Hayes. Hayes, author and illustrator, is the 2010 winner of the Theodor Seuss Geisel Award for Benny and Penny in the Big No-No!
The content on the blog is designed specifically for emerging readers. The vocabulary, visuals, and activities target the needs of early reading and writing. Parents and children can tune in every Monday for a great new story with Benny, Penny and their friends in a weekly comic strip. Visit the blog every Wednesday for a new cartoon featuring a caption contest. The author will post the best captions the following week.
Additional fun activities:
- Write to the author in the comments section and he will personally answer them.
- Click on the weekly comic strip to download and print out for coloring.
- Cut the panels out, scramble them up and put them back in order.
- Read and reread the archives anytime.
- Brainstorm ideas for captions.
- Send us your drawings and writings and the author will highlight them on the blog.
Hayes is looking forward to meeting his fans on the blog.
“It broadens Benny and Penny’s world and gives children something to look forward to,” said Hayes. “It’s a great way for the kids to be in touch with the author and learn and have fun at the same time. It’s also something that parents and children can do together on a weekly basis.”
To view the new blog, visit www.toon-books.com/bandp.