On Sunday, June 26th, while attending the American Library Association’s Annual Conference in New Orleans, I ran around to as many of my favorite kids comics creators as I could and asked them all the exact same questions. Keep in mind, exhibit halls are crazy loud and crazy busy, so there is a lot of background noise. Let me know in the comments if you have trouble hearing anything and I’ll translate for you.
Ryan Sias has done just about all the things a person can do in the world of Drawings That Tell Stories. His work has appeared in magazines, movie storyboards, as a webcomic, and even in the pages of a coloring book. To top things off, his story Blip Pop was included in the second volume of the Flight anthology.
Ryan’s newest book, Zoe and Robot: Let’s Pretend, is part of the Balloon Toons series from Blue Apple Books. As chance would have it, Snow reviewed the Balloon Toons line of graphic novels for new readers on Tuesday and she liked what she saw.
Books mentioned in this video:
- Captain Carrot and the Amazing Zoo Crew
- Zita the Spacegirl, by Ben Hatke (watch Ben’s interview here)
- Astronaut Academy, by Dave Roman
- Smile, by Raina Telgemeier (watch Dave & Raina’s interview here)
- Where the Mountain Meets the Moon, by Grace Lim
- The Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkein
- Bone: One Volume Edition, by Jeff Smith