Heavy Medal: A Mock Newbery Blog
Inside Heavy Medal

Back to Newbery

The day after Labor Day heralds Christmas shopping, the donning of fall fashions weather-permitting or no, and…Book Awards Season.

So here we are to Heavy Medal once more. "We" looks a little different this round, as smart Sharon has opted to take a year to travel the world, with no online devices whatsoever (er, except for a Kindle).  Taking the stage instead is someone you might recognize from this spring’s Battle of the Kid’s Books

JonathanHunt Back to Newbery

Now, other Mock Newbery sites have been busy all year:

Allen County Public Library
Bergen County Cooperative Library System
Eva Perry Regional Library

And Fuse#8 has been posting her quarterly "predications."

We’ll be holding our "live" Mock Newbery discussion in Oakland CA on a date to be annouced…sometime early January 2010.  Meanwhile, let’s get started. What titles should we be discussing? You tell us… and tell us why you think it’s Newbery Worthy.

share save 171 16 Back to Newbery
Nina Lindsay About Nina Lindsay

Nina Lindsay is the Children's Services Coordinator at the Oakland Public Library, CA. She chaired the 2008 Newbery Committee, and served on the 2004 and 1998 committees. You can reach her at ninalindsay@gmail.com

Comments

1. Wendy says:

I was JUST about to post a tweet wondering when Heavy Medal would start up again. Yay! Hope Sharon’s doing well.

Like many others, so far I’m looking for a Newbery win for When You Reach Me, which I found particularly distinguished in development of plot and setting. I also think there might be an Honor possibility for Shadowed Summer, except it doesn’t seem to quite fit with either the Newbery or the Printz. I liked Tropical Secrets, though not nearly as much as The Surrender Tree.

2. DaNae says:

Welcome back.

I’m not going to be very original:
    When you Reach Me
    The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate
    When the Whistle Blows

Thanks both of you for doing this.

3. Eva Mitnick says:

When You Reach Me by Stead (for its plotting, writing, and its classic NYC setting)
    Where the Mountain Meets the Sea by Lin (perfect Chinese Knot of a plot and lovely writing, leavened by quiet humor)
    Peace, Locomotion by Woodson (man, this woman can write – she makes it look easy)

I’m so glad you’re back!

4. Doris Gebel says:

When You Reach Me rose to the top of our Newbery Book Club favorites after Rebeca Stead visited in August, but NENPL Newbery Club members are enjoying Neil Armstrong is My Uncle and Other Lies Muscle Man McGinty Told Me. The kids are looking forward to discussing the book with author Nan Marino in a “Skype” visit with her on September 29, thanks to the SLJ Extra Helping article. Read reviews of what else they’ve been reading on our Newbery Book Club page on our Northport-East Northport Public Library webpage

5. Ms Martha says:

Thanks for linking to the Eva Perry group! We have recently started reading several of the above titles. Thanks very much for this place to compare notes.

6. Brooke says:

I’m seconding the motion on all the above titles, but I still say all bets are off until A Season of Gifts and The Brothers’ Story are on the market. Love me my Sturtevant, I do.

7. Jess says:

My top choice so far would be The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate, with When You Reach Me as another that should be considered.