Heavy Medal: A Mock Newbery Blog
Inside Heavy Medal

Online Mock Newbery

Something weird happened.  Knowing I was going to be out of town during the holidays, I wrote my last couple of posts and scheduled them.  I wrote one about picture books, specifically THE SKUNK and IT’S ONLY STANLEY, that should have posted this morning.  Try as I might, I cannot figure out what happened to it; it’s simply disappeared.  If I can solve the problem then I’ll post it next week sometime.

Meanwhile, we’ve done an informal online mock Newbery the past couple years, so I’ll take advantage of this lapse to jump start that process.  For me, the top three books are THE HIRED GIRL, MOST DANGEROUS, and MY SENECA VILLAGE in no particular order.  On the real committee, I’d listen very carefully to the discussion to decide in which order to vote for them–of course, some of them might not have the support necessary to remain on the table for the first ballot.  In that case, I’d probably turn to ECHO, GONE CRAZY IN ALABAMA, and LISTEN, SLOWLY.  But I would also be happy with another dozen books including, but not limited to, THE WAR THAT SAVED MY LIFE, THE PENDERWICKS IN SPRING, DROWNED CITY, and THE BOYS WHO CHALLENGED HITLER.  So many books!  So hard to choose!

One thing I notice about my top three choices is that they are all for readers between the ages of 12-14, while my next three are for ages 9-12. Clearly authors can make greater demands on an older audience, but that doesn’t necessarily mean their books are more distinguished than a book for a younger audience.  I’d also listen to the discussions to see how these audience issues are addressed.

But for the purposes of our informal mock Newbery, I’m going to stick with MOST DANGEROUS and MY SENECA VILLAGE since nonfiction and poetry need all the help they can get.  Speaking of help, we’ve given THE HIRED GIRL, ECHO, and GONE CRAZY IN ALABAMA lots of help here, so I’m going to throw some love to LISTEN, SLOWLY.

1.  MY SENECA VILLAGE

2.  MOST DANGEROUS

3.  LISTEN, SLOWLY

Please list your top three in numerical order.  I will tally them and post the results in the middle of next week.

Jonathan Hunt About Jonathan Hunt

Jonathan Hunt is the Coordinator of Library Media Services at the San Diego County Office of Education. He served on the 2006 Newbery committee, and has also judged the Caldecott Medal, the Printz Award, the Boston Globe-Horn Book Awards, and the Los Angeles Times Book Prize. You can reach him at hunt_yellow@yahoo.com

Comments

1. 1. The Penderwicks in Spring
    2. Listen, Slowly
    3. Most Dangerous

2. 1. Goodbye Stranger
    2. The Hired Girl
    3. Roller Girl

3. 1. Echo
    2. Most Dangerous
    3. Gone Crazy in Alabama

I just finished Gone Crazy a couple days ago, and I would *love* to see a little love thrown its way!

4. 1. The War That Saved My Life

11. 1. The War That Saved My Life
    2. Drowned City
    3. Audacity by Melanie Crowder

12. 1. Roller Girl
    2. Most Dangerous
    3. Drowned City

13. #1 is definitely Echo. I’m not sure on 2-3 yet.

14. 1. Orbiting Jupiter

2) MOST DANGEROUS
    3) GONE CRAZY IN ALABAMA

20. 1. The War That Saved My Life
    2. Circus Mirandus
    3. Crenshaw

21. Sam Bloom says:

So… are we supposed to be taking our 3 from the long list? Or just whatever our 3 books from all of the eligible books we may/may not have discussed? because it looks like we’ve got a little of both going on…

• Jonathan Hunt Jonathan Hunt says:

The field is wide open. You don’t have to stick with the nine titles we chose for the Oakland/San Diego Mock Newberys.

• Sam Bloom says:

Thanks, Jonathan! I can’t publicly voice my opinion about a lot of eligible books, but of the books that I *CAN* mention, I’d vote…

1. Goodbye Stranger

25. 1. Echo
    2. Most Dangerous
    3. The War That Saved My Life

26. 1. Goodbye Stranger
    2. Most Dangerous
    3. The Hired Girl

I also support The War that Changed My Life and My Seneca Village! I need (at least) five slots! So many good books…

27. 1. Most Dangerous
    2. The War that Saved My Life
    3. The Thing About Jellyfish

28. 1. The Hired Girl
    2. The War that Saved my Life
    3. Roller Girl

(if only he were eligible, THE NEST would have been my #1)

29. So hard..

2. The Thing About Jellyfish
    3. Goodbye, Stranger

33. Jessica O. says:

1. Echo
    2. The War That Saved My Life
    3. The Honest Truth

34. Anticipation is KILLING me slowly… LOVE this time of year.

1. Fish in a Tree
    2. Crenshaw
    3. Goodbye Stranger

5 days to go… so much still to read. Thanks Jonathan and all commenters.

35. The War That Saved My Life
    Lost in the Sun
    Listen, Slowly

(loved The Hired Girl, but consider it much more appropriate for the Printz than the Newbery)

36. Hannah Mermelstein says:

1. The Marvels
    2. The War That Saved My Life
    3. The Detective’s Assistant

Also, my students just voted this week, and our results are:
    Medal: The War That Saved My Life
    Honors (4 because the votes were just so close!): The Thing About Jellyfish, A Night Divided, Lost in the Sun, The Honest Truth

37. 1. MOST DANGEROUS
    2. A NIGHT DIVIDED
    3. ORBITING JUPITER

Typically, I steer away from anything toward the upper end of the Newbery age range, but I enjoy Gary D. Schmidt so much, and liked ORBITING JUPITER A LOT, so I’m making an exception.

Wish A NIGHT DIVIDED would have gotten a little more play and love.

Not sure anyone compares to Sheinkin. Guy is a powerhouse right now.

38. Library Garden says:

1. The War That Saved My Life
    2. Echo
    3. Full Cicada Moon

39. Library Garden says:

Can someone remind me where to post my student mocks?? I read it somewhere, but I’ll be darned if I can find where to post them!!
    Thanks

40. Genevieve says:

1. THE WAR THAT SAVED MY LIFE
    2. THE PENDERWICKS IN SPRING
    3. GONE CRAZY IN ALABAMA

• Jonathan Hunt Jonathan Hunt says:

You posted while I was tallying the results, Genevieve, so I went back and revised the totals.

• Genevieve says:

Thanks, Jonathan – the “Winners” post says The Penderwicks has two 1st place votes and one 3rd place vote, so either mine didn’t get counted or it got counted as a 1st or 3rd rather than a 2nd, I think.

• Jonathan Hunt Jonathan Hunt says:

Yours was inaccurately listed as a 3rd, but the points were right. That is, 4 + 4 +3 = 11. I made the change, however. Thanks for catching it!

41. Jonathan Hunt Jonathan Hunt says:

Voting is closed!

You are welcome to post votes, but it won’t affect the outcome.

42. Safranit Molly says:

Drat! Just missed it!
    1. Echo
    2. The War that Saved My Life
    3. Drowned City

43. 1. A Night Divided
    2. Fuzzy Mud
    3. The War that Saved my Life

Trackbacks

1. […] There are so many cool books up for the Newbery award this year. The School Library Journal’s blog Heavy Medal does an awesome Mock Newbery and it’s fun to see what people think deserves to win. Check out that post here. […]