Heavy Medal: A Mock Newbery Blog
Inside Heavy Medal

Calling the Newbery 15 (or more)!

Dear Readers of Heavy Medal,

newberymedalIf you would have read all 18 of our long listed titles by February 1st, 2018, please comment below to register for an additional balloting poll that will closely mimic the Newbery Committee voting process.

Here are the 18 titles to be voted on by the Heavy Medal Newbery 15 (the number of Newbery Committee members).  We hope to have more than 15 readers registered — and will perform some Math Magic to make sure the numbers all work out!

• All’s Faire in Middle School

• Refugee

• Tumble and Blue

• Vincent and Theo

• War I Finally Won

• Wishtree

Roxanne Hsu Feldman About Roxanne Hsu Feldman

Roxanne Hsu Feldman is the Middle School (4th to 8th grade) Librarian at the Dalton School in New York City. She served on the 2002 and 2013 Newbery Committees. Roxanne was also a member of 2008-2009 Notable Books for Children, 2015 Best Fiction for Young Adults, and the 2017 Odyssey Award Committees. In 2016 Roxanne was one of the three judges for the Boston Globe-Horn Book Awards. You can reach her at at roxannefeldman@gmail.com.

Comments

1. I’m in!

2. After I finish reading TUMBLE & BLUE this afternoon or evening, I will have read all 18. I’m in!

3. Me!

4. Leonard Kim says:

I’m with you too!

5. So far, we have Roxanne, Steven, Sharon plus Monica, Mr. H., Katrina, and Leonard — 7! Almost half way there! Yay. More, please :)

6. Cherylynn says:

I have also read them all.

7. Adrian Zeck says:

I’ll have Tumble and Blue done by the 1st. I’m in.

8. Kristin Bugnitz says:

I have read them!

9. We have 10! Welcome Kristin & Adrian, first time commenting!

10. Orphan Island and Her Right Foot are on their way to me through ILL, but I’m certain I’ll have finished them by February 1st.

11. I’m in. I’ve finished reading all of them.

12. Now we are a dozen! Mary & Sue, thank you for joining us.

13. sam leopold says:

I have read all of them also.

14. Roxanne, I lost touch while on vacation. I’m back and have read them. I’m finishing up LOVING, but will be ready. I will go back and read each discussion.

15. We only need ONE more to make 15!!! And the more the merrier!!!

16. I’ve only got two more to read so I would be happy to participate if you still need someone!

• Kari, please finish the books and participate. The three bloggers could always vacate our seats at the table and just manage the balloting!

Also, if we have 30, we can have TWO different committees! Wheeee… Keep signing up, folks! We can keep this going until this Sunday (1/28) just so we have time to test out the emails and the private link for this special ballot process.

17. I am also in.

18. WENDY LAVENDA - CARROLL says:

I’m in too!

19. I have a few books left (if they will ever stay in the library long enough for me to read them!) and would love to join if there’s still room! Thanks!!

• With you, we have exactly 15 – without any of the three Heavy Medal bloggers. However, we’re happy to host more readers who have finished all books — if we can get another 12 readers to sign up, we can run two different groups! Woot!

20. Jenn Potter says:

I’ve read all but one… no problem to finish tonight! So I’m in if there’s space.