Heavy Medal: A Mock Newbery Blog
Inside Heavy Medal

2019 Heavy Medal: June Suggestions

newberymedalIt’s time for June Mock Newbery suggestions from our readers.

Please suggest:

• books that you think could be possible Newbery contenders.
  • only eligible books.  Check the Terms and Criteria for details.  Basic rules: written by an American citizen/resident; original work; published in the US, in 2018, for children up to age 14.
  • 1 to 5 titles: title/author, no justification needed.
  • only books that have been published.
  • only books that you have read.
  • a book that you believe could be a contender even if it has already been suggested by someone else.
  • only books that you haven’t already suggested.

The suggestions are due on June 6th.  On the 7th (or shortly after) we’ll post a cumulated list.

Steven Engelfried About Steven Engelfried

Steven Engelfried is the Library Services Manager at the Wilsonville Public Library in Oregon. He served on the 2010 Newbery committee, chaired the 2013 Newbery Committee, and also served on the 2002 Caldecott committee. You can reach him at sengelfried@yahoo.com.

Comments

1. Leonard Kim says:

The Penderwicks at Last, by Jane Penderwick (aka Jeanne Birdsall)
    Boots on the Ground: America’s War in Vietnam, by Elizabeth Partridge

2. Thunderhead by Neal Shusterman

3. Ghost Boys by Jewell Parker Rhodes

The Parker Inheritance by Varian Johnson

4. Mary Lou White says:

Hope in the Holler by Lisa Lewis Tyre. I have not yet read a children’s book that explores so beautifully and painfully the different types of poverty that currently afflict children, nor the struggles of the Appalachian people who still live back in the hollers.

5. Katrina says:

A Problematic Paradox by Eliot Sappingfield
    The Penderwicks at Last by Jeanne Birdsall

6. Rebound by Kwame Alexander

7. Give Me Some Truth by Eric Gansworth

8. PENDERWICKS AT LAST
    REBOUND
    (and if Roxanne is putting it in, I will follow)
    THUNDERHEAD

9. Oops, I already nominated REBOUND.

Let’s go with: THE LAST by Katherine Applegate.

I’m awash in series titles.

10. CHECKED by Cynthia Kadohata

11. Katrina says:

Bob by wendy mass & rebecca stead

12. Steven Engelfried Steven Engelfried says:

Be Prepared by Vera Brosgol
    Boots on the Ground by Elizabeth Partridge
    The Last by Katherine Applegate

13. Boots on the Ground: America’s War in Vietnam
    Be Prepared

14. these have probably already been suggested, but they made me sigh with delight when I finished them!

Parker Inheritance / Varian Johnson.
    The Heart and Mind of Frances Pauley / April Stevens
    The Miscalculations of Lightning Girl / Stacey McAnulty
    The Mad Wolf’s Daughter / Diane Magras
    Like Vanessa / Tami Charles

15. Sharon McKellar Sharon McKellar says:

Love by Matt de la Pena
    They Say Blue by Jillian Tamaki
    Be Prepared by Vera Brosgol

16. Eric Carpenter says:

THE PENDERWICKS AT LAST
    AMAL UNBOUND

17. The Book of Boy by Catherine Gilbert Murdock

18. The Hyena Scientist by Sy Montgomery
    Made for Each Other: Why Dogs and People Are Perfect Partners by Dorothy Hinshaw Patent

19. I’m also adding Boots on the Ground by Elizabeth Partridge.
    I was thinking it was too sophisticated for Newbery, but I see that other folks have suggested it, so maybe I’m wrong.

20. Amal Unbound by Aisha Saeed
    Bob by Wendy Mass and Rebecca Stead

21. One more I just finished yesterday: Kelly Yang’s Front Desk.

22. THE SERPENT’S SECRET by Sayantani DasGupta