Heavy Medal: A Mock Newbery Blog
Inside Heavy Medal

Mock Newbery: July Suggestion

It’s summer — the best time to stay inside and keep cool with a book in hand! What wonderful new titles have you been reading that’s published in the first half of 2019 in the United States, for children ages 0 to 14, by an American author (citizen or resident) that is original work, and worthy of everyone’s attention: distinguished in style, tone, character development, plot delineation, presentation of information, or thematic treatment.

Please post in the comment your top choices (up to five) — no need for explanation, just titles and authors. You may include books already on the cumulative list – as long as you have not suggested them yourself. We can’t wait to see what titles you all have loved!

Roxanne Hsu Feldman About Roxanne Hsu Feldman

Roxanne Hsu Feldman is the Middle School (4th to 8th grade) Librarian at the Dalton School in New York City. She served on the 2002 and 2013 Newbery Committees. Roxanne was also a member of 2008-2009 Notable Books for Children, 2015 Best Fiction for Young Adults, and the 2017 Odyssey Award Committees. In 2016 Roxanne was one of the three judges for the Boston Globe-Horn Book Awards. You can reach her at at roxannefeldman@gmail.com.

Comments

1. Meredith Burton says:

1. Song for a Whale, by Lynne Kelly.
    2. The Whispers, by Greg Howard.
    3. Riverland, by Fran Wilde.
    4. Over the Moon, by Natalie Lloyd.
    5. Shout! A Poetry Memoir, by Laurie Halse Anderson, (probably more suited for Printz, but I thought I would include it).

2. Genevieve says:

Sal and Gabi Break the Universe
    A Good Kind of Trouble
    To Night Owl From Dogfish
    Pie in the Sky by Remy Lai
    Just South of Home

• Danielle Jones says:

Sadly, I don’t think Pie in the Sky is eligible. The author lives in Australia.

• Usually, a U.S. author living abroad would not take them out of the running for the Newbery. In this case, Lai was born in Indonesia, grew up in Singapore, and now living in Australia, according to the Macmillan website. If the book is looked at seriously by the Committee, the ALSC office would then inquire as to the eligibility of the author.

3. Robin Parry says:

Oops, I suggested one two many, sorry!
    Take out my vote for Pay Attention, Carter Jones – it has a ton of votes without me. (I love it and it would not be the first one I’d drop if I was going by my favorites, but if votes are to make sure books get considered for the Mock, Carter Jones looks safe.)

4. Ruby in the Sky – Ferruolo

*Right as Rain
    *The Bridge Home
    *Pay Attention, Carter Jones
    *Other Words for Home

11. Monica Edinger says:

A Place to Belong

12. The suggestion window will close this Wednesday, July 17th. Please have them coming!!! Anyone having read great new SciFi, Fantasy, or Mystery for young readers???

13. Hi Roxanne, Steve said he would add my suggestions from last month. The comments were still open when I posted and it wasn’t after 12:00 a.m. where I live so I was surprised by the time stamp. I’ll have to remember to post suggestions earlier in the future. The suggestions weren’t included in the totals so he said he would do it this month. Would I still be able to recommend a couple of titles this month? These titles I suggested last month that weren’t included:

Where the Heart Is by Jo Knowles
    A Monster Like Me by Wendy S. Swore
    Other Words for Home by Jasmine Warga
    The Door at the End of the World by Caroline Carlson
    The Strangers (Greystone Secrets #1) by Margaret Peterson Haddix

I feel that looking at exceptional series books for consideration is worthwhile, past Newbery Winner, A Wrinkle in Time, became part of a quintet.

Roxanne, there is a little fantasy and mystery on my list.

14. Angel Thieves by Kathi Appelt is marketed for YA but I think it could work for older MG.
    I’ve read a bunch of sci fi, fantasy, mythology titles this spring and the one that stood out in quality was Lalani of the Distant Sea by Erin Entrada Kelly

• Steven Engelfried Steven Engelfried says:

We can’t add Lalani to our list yet, since it doesn’t come out until September, but I’m looking forward to reading that one for sure.

15. Steve said I can recommend books for this month since I made the deadline last month.

Shouting at the Rain by Lynda Mullaly Hunt