Heavy Medal: A Mock Newbery Blog
Inside Heavy Medal

Heavy Medal Mock Newbery – General Call for Suggestions

Thank you for all who have been talking to us via the Comments in the past week. Please continue engaging on book discussion posts in the coming weeks/months.

At this time, Steven, Annisha, and I would love to see more reader suggestions. Since we will start the official “nomination” process in a month or so, we are taking away the restriction of already published books. Any Heavy Medal reader who has access to great upcoming books, please suggest away. As long as you don’t repeat your own former suggestions, there is no limit of numbers of suggestions. Just keep them coming in the comments area — indicating that it’s a suggestion when you post so we can tally accordingly.

I am suggesting the following:

How High the Moon by Parsons
The Toll by Schusterman
Other Words for Home by Warga
Best Friends by Hale

Roxanne Hsu Feldman About Roxanne Hsu Feldman

Roxanne Hsu Feldman is the Middle School (4th to 8th grade) Librarian at the Dalton School in New York City. She served on the 2002 and 2013 Newbery Committees. Roxanne was also a member of 2008-2009 Notable Books for Children, 2015 Best Fiction for Young Adults, and the 2017 Odyssey Award Committees. In 2016 Roxanne was one of the three judges for the Boston Globe-Horn Book Awards. You can reach her at at roxannefeldman@gmail.com.

Comments

1. I’d like to suggest:
    Lalani of the Distant Sea
    For Black Girls Like Me
    Downstairs Girl

2. My suggestions:

Lalani of the Distant Sea by Erin Entrada Kelly
    My Life as an Ice Cream Sandwich by Ibi Zoboi

3. Kate McCue-Day says:

I would suggest:
    The Remarkable Journey of Coyote Sunrise
    Extraordinary Birds
    Hurricane Season

4. *Lalani of the Distant Sea
    *My Jasper June

And while I haven’t read it yet, I’m looking forward to Look Both Ways: A Tale Told in Ten Blocks by Jason Reynolds, which comes out next month.

5. My new suggestions:

The True History of Lyndie B. Hawkins, by Gail Shepherd
    New Kid, by Jerry Craft

9. Annisha Jeffries Annisha Jeffries says:

Queen of the Sea
    For Black Girls Like Me

10. Suggesting My Life as an Ice Cream Sandwich by Ibi Zoboi

11. I’ll add another vote for LALANI and also I CAN MAKE THIS PROMISE by Christine Day, coming next month from Harper Collins.

12. Molly Sloan says:

I’m glad to see Lalani making the list. I was surprised it didn’t show up as much in the summer forecasting but it was a fall release so that’s probably why. I would also add a vote for New Kid. PLENTY on my TBR list right now; thanks for all of the suggestions!

13. I’ll add votes for
    OTHER WORDS FOR HOME
    BEST FRIENDS
    THE REMARKABLE JOURNEY OF COYOTE SUNRISE (if I didn’t vote for it last time – I don’t think I did but am not positive)
    ORDINARY GIRLS by Blair Thornburgh

(If there was still a Printz blog, I would nominate LOVE FROM A TO Z, by S.K. Ali.)

• Genevieve – I love, love, love LOVE FROM A TO Z! If Ali was U.S. I would make a case for that for Newbery. I have taken it out to so many middle schools to great success.

14. In addition to my past suggestions, I would like to add…
    Next Great Paulie Fink
    The Remarkable Journey of Coyote Sunrise

15. I would like to suggest:

Genesis Begins Again by Alicia D. Williams
    The Remarkable Journey of Coyote Sunrise by Dan Gemeinhart
    Pay Attention, Carter Jones by Gary D. Schmidt
    Strange Birds: A Field Guide to Ruffling Feathers by Celia C. Perez
    Each Tiny Spark by Pablo Cartaya

16. Rich Maxwell says:

Some of my top favorites this year:
    The True History of Lyndie B. Hawkins, Gail Shepherd
    A Good Kind of Trouble, Lisa Ramee
    The Bridge Home, Padma Venkatramen
    Hurricane Season, Nicole Melleby
    All of Me, Chris Baron
    Pay Attention Carter Jones, Gary Schmidt

17. I am Suggesting

BEVERLY, RIGHT HERE by Kate DiCamillo

18. Adding:
    Pet by Akwaeke Emezi (I thought this was going to be all dark and old YA, but it totally should have been published as MG.)

19. Leonard Kim says:

ANTHEM by Deborah Wiles

20. LORRI SAWYER says:

My suggestion is The Miraculous by Jess Redman.
    So beautiful.

21. Another vote for The Miraculous by Jess Redman.