Heavy Medal: A Mock Newbery Blog
Inside Heavy Medal

Call for Nominations-Choose Two More.

Heavy Medal Mock Newbery Nominations are now open for December. In Steven’s November 14 post, he mentioned that for November, 49 Heavy Medal readers each put three titles forward. November 21 post, Roxanne tallied that 18 titles reached top contender status (4 nominations or more by 59 Heavy Medal readers).

We are now calling for two December nominations. If you weren’t able to Nominate in November, please take a moment to nominate your titles. The December round for nominations will take place – 12/9 to 12/13.

You are welcome to nominate titles that already nominated by others — just can’t nominate the same titles you yourself had already put forth.

To see the detailed nomination tally, from November 21, please CLICK ON THIS LINK.

Annisha Jeffries About Annisha Jeffries

Annisha Jeffries is the head of the youth services department at Cleveland Public Library. She was a member of the 2007 ALSC Board and served on several selection committees, including the 2018 Caldecott Committee. A 2000-2001 Spectrum Scholarship recipient, Jeffries is currently the Chair of the Norman A, Sugarman Children's Biography Award.
She can be reached at annishamj@gmail.com

Comments

1. Julie Corsaro says:

TORPEDOED
    THIS PROMISE OF CHANGE

2. Undefeated
    To Night Owl From Dogfish

• Hi — we already determined: Undefeated is not eligible for the Newbery due to the fact that the majority of the text was already published in another form from past years. Do you wish to nominate another title?

• Oh, I thought the last word was:

“For our purposes on Heavy Medal, we’ll leave the decision to them, but go ahead and keep THE UNDEFEATED eligible. It’s a great book to discuss for sure…”

(On the November nominations thread. Is there another decision somewhere else?)

• Ha, Kari — I think that’s Steven’s comment. Sure. We can keep it on the nominations tally. Sorry for the confusion.

• I also thought it was still up in the air about qualifying. If it definitely doesn’t k then I’ll switch to Best Friends.

3. Mary Zdrojewski says:

The Mighty Heart of Sunny St. James
    Genesis Begins Again

4. The Toll by Neal Shusterman
    Infinite Hope by Ashley Bryan

5. Leonard Kim says:

My Nominations are:
    BEVERLY RIGHT HERE
    TO NIGHT OWL FROM DOGFISH

These are strategic choices, trying to lift them onto the HM Mock Discussion List. TORPEDOED already made it so it doesn’t need me, even though I do think it is one of the year’s very best. If I were on the real Committee, where a single nomination gets you to the table, I’d nominate titles like THE CLASS and maybe, for genre representation, an easy chapter book like THE TREE AND ME.

• Steven Engelfried Steven Engelfried says:

A single nomination will get a book to the table, but it might not last long. Before discussion begins, the Committee may take a quick run through the single-nomination-titles on the list and try to identify titles that do not have enough support to be discussed. Typically it only requires one person’s “yes” to keep the title. But a nominator might also at that time realize that there’s no further support and let it be removed. The Chair might re-emphasize that time is tight and that any time spent discussing books with no chance can take away time from strong contenders that require in-depth discussion.

• Steven Engelfried Steven Engelfried says:

One scenario where a book with one nomination might stand a decent chance if it’s a late publication. Something like INFINITE HOPE, which was only out a couple weeks at the time of the November nominations, is a good example. By nominating, a member guarantees that the book will be read and considered by all 15 members, so that even if many hadn’t read it by December, it might land at the nomination-level for many. And once discussion starts, numbers of nominations are not weighed.

6. Kate Todd says:

6. Eventown by Corey Ann Haydu
    7. Look Both Ways by Jason Reynolds

7. Steven Engelfried Steven Engelfried says:

A PLACE TO BELONG by Kadohata
    BORN TO FLY by Sheinkin

8. Torpedoed

(I’ve only read one book so far that I found truly distinguished, so I’d like to mention it if I may put forward just one title.)

9. Mary Lou White says:

The Line Tender
    New Kid

10. The Toll
    Torpedoed

11. Lalani of the Distant Sea
    Torpedoed

12. Laura Harrison says:

Beverly, Right Here by Kate DiCamillo
    Look Both Ways by Jason Reynolds

13. Kate McCue-Day says:

All the Impossible Things
    Tristan Strong Punches a Hole in the Sky

14. Nominations

6. I Can Make this Promise, by Christine Day.
    7 A Place to Belong, by Cynthia Kadohata.

15. I saw that Torpoed was already on your list, which is why I didn’t nominate it. However, as someone who reads little nonfiction, I was thoroughly enthralled by the book. I also thought of nominating Thirteen Doorways, Wolves Behind them All, by Laura Ruby, but I thought it would be more suitable for Printz consideration. I am loving hearing about all the titles that have been nominated.

16. The Toll
    Scary Stories for Young Foxes

17. Best Friends
    From Night Owl to Dogfish

18. Mary Clare O'Grady says:

I am having trouble locating the post that lists the five or six books that have already been determined to be on the “final” list. Can someone repeat the titles here or provide a link to that post? We probably shouldn’t nominate books for December that are already on that list, right?

19. The Remarkable Journey of Coyote Sunrise