Neverending Search
Inside Neverending Search

Online library webinars: Should we do it again (and again)?

Last Thursday, our webinar, Is There a Place for Media Specialists Who Don’t Know Social Media? was graciously hosted by Steve Hargadon, who manages the The Future of Education as well as the Classroom 2.0 Nings.  Carolyn Foote,  Buffy Hamilton, and Cathy Nelson were our panelists.

Steve hinted at it in our planning discussions and he very kindly made the offer more formally during our session.  He is eager to host library-related discussions on a regular basis.

(This is quite generous.  Steve holds to his offer despite the fact that I did a rather shabby job getting from screen to screen and getting to discussing all those things we’d hoped to discuss the other night. Screen shots for sure, next time around!)

And so I ask, do school librarians want a regular, free, Elluminate chat time and space?  We could meet monthly to talk issues and host authors, experts, academics, and innovative practictioners.  We could share our effective/best practice.

The problem is that I tend to say "yes" to nearly everything anyone asks of me.   If we want to do this, we will need a team.  We will need to rotate planning and hosting responsibilities.

I’d be happy to get the ball rolling, but you emerging leaders out, this is the time to emerge!

Who wants to play?  What guests would you like to see?  What would you like to talk about?

share save 171 16 Online library webinars: Should we do it again (and again)?
Joyce Valenza About Joyce Valenza

Joyce is the teacher-librarian at Springfield Township High School, a technology writer, and a blogger. Follow her on Twitter: @joycevalenza

Comments

1. Donna Baumbach says:

I thought the webinar was FABULOUS and would love to see (and hear) more. Although I’d favor topics designed for US and our professional development, I thought the opportunity to inform and share with non-LMSs was great! BTW, I think you did a great job! Thanks to all 4 of you, and Steve H, of course!

2. joycevalenza says:

Thanks, Donna. I was so pleased that you attended! I so admire your work! Wanna help us organize the future?

3. Donna B says:

Retired…and a little out of touch, but I’d do what I can!

4. srenatee says:

I will push this at the KY LMS Summer Refresher in July! I will have a captive audience!

5. Nancy Keane says:

Had a great time. I was supposed to be writing a paper for school but couldn’t pass this up. I would love to have more of these.

6. Buffy Hamilton says:

Count me in, Joyce! I am glad to help in any way possible.

7. donnabaratta says:

Absolutely! The webinar was really informative. If we have a regular schedule we can spread the word amongst our colleagues.
    I believe Steve said a transcript of the session would be available…great for those who attend and for those who could not attend. Where will these be posted?
    Thanks so much for organizing/leading the sessions!
    I am happy to help if needed!

8. Denise says:

YES!!! We would LOVE to have these online webinars via Elluminate sessions. We would encourage Delaware School Library Media Specialists as well since they can access Elluminate too! Can help too! Keep us posted!

9. Fran Bullington says:

I came into the webinar late, but enjoyed every moment of my time. The nature of our profession usually leaves us “on our own” in the media center, so it is wonderful to be able to converse with other media specialists. I hope to see these webinars become a monthly event. Topics could vary from reading promotions to advocacy to technology tools. Not sure if I would be of much help, but am willing to try!

10. librypat says:

I am so sorry I missed the last one. It takes summertime for me to comb over all of the great resources we have as a collective group. I would love to be a rep from Cincinnati and the Forest Hills group. Personally, since our program was cut this year due to a failed levy, I would love to hear strategies for a “one man show” media center. I am up for the challenge.
    Thanks!

11. Misnomer says:

I’d LOVE to have a regular meeting time via Elluminate or Second Life where Teacher-Librarians could get together and talk/learn. I know that our profession has focused a great deal on technology over the past few years, but I’d love to see a new focus on quality lesson/unit plan design…. honoring the learning, not the vehicle. I’d love to discuss the book “Understanding by Design”, to attend sessions on creating and recognizing quality rubrics, etc.

The book “Librarians as Learning Specialists: Meeting the Learning Imperative for the 21st Century” by Violet H. Harada and Allison Zmuda would be a great place to start. Maybe they could be guest speakers for a session or two.

12. Amalia says:

What a great opportunity! Sorry I missed this one. Selfishly, I’d love to see a discussion focusing on social media at the elementary level. I would be glad to help!

13. I cant gain access to the RSS feed. I am receiving a 500 internal web server error :(