Neverending Search
Inside Neverending Search

Kathy and I take a look at the Nook

Taking a short shopping break from the wonderful Christa McAuliffe Technology Conference this week, Kathy Schrock and I visited the Nashua Barnes and Noble.

We gadget girls were delighted to see a display for the new Nook ebook reader, but we were a little disappointed to discover that they would only let us touch the laminated cardboard facsimiles.  Luckily, Toby from the Music Department gave us this enthusiastic preview.

share save 171 16 Kathy and I take a look at the Nook
Joyce Valenza About Joyce Valenza

Joyce is the teacher-librarian at Springfield Township High School, a technology writer, and a blogger. Follow her on Twitter: @joycevalenza

Comments

1. Kathy Schrock says:

Poor Joyce…trying to get a word in edgewise with me asking a million questions is really hard even when you are not also taking video! Thanks for sharing this and it was fun hanging around the bookstore with you!

2. Assisttechguru says:

What video editor did you use and what video player please?

3. connect2jamie says:

I went with my daughter to look at the Nook display at our local B&N over Thanksgiving. It totally made me want one…except for one thing. The sales rep here told us that you can loan a book to a friend for 14 days, but that you can only do that once per book. This rep doesn’t mention that–does anyone know?

She also told us that inside the B&N store, you can read any book on your Nook free of charge. When you leave, it gets removed from your device, I suppose! I thought that was cool.

4. Erica L says:

People with Kindles…How do you feel about the Nook? Are you wishing you held out a little bit longer for the updated technology, or are you happy with what you have?

5. Susan Vaughan says:

I also heard that the Nook will only let you loan out books to friends once and for 2 weeks. It seems like there are still some limitations out there – but I like where this is heading!

6. Beth S. says:

Loved your talks at the Christa McAuliffe conference. Two thoughts: we are having trouble buying the Nook for our school because you have to sign up with a credit card, but there is no password protection so the user/patron can download as many books as they want on the district’s credit card. Also, to harken back to the copyright discussion, loved all the tools you showed us but under existing copyright law, if we use book cover images without specific permission from each publisher, we would be infringing. Since that could mean a $100,000 liability for the institution and the individual, and violates what we are teaching our students, it doesn’t seem like a good idea to brush that off. Fair Use is for a single classroom use, not posting on the web. Would love to see a discussion of this on your blog as we would like to use all the new tools you showed us, but also not violate copyright. Thanks!