Neverending Search
Inside Neverending Search

Reframing Google’s search options

Don’t think I am ungrateful.

Over the past couple of years, those brilliant Google engineers designed stunning search options, moving Google search way, way beyond an effective, but relatively unflexible vertical search.

And over the past couple of years I’ve been pasting links to all these options into my subject pathfinders so my students can find them.

The problem is–so many of the very best search options are buried in the vast Google wilderness of labs, or in the wonderful pulldowns of more and even more–places where few but our most intrepid students and teachers dare to go.

So I’ve been playing with a prototype search page that unearths some of those beautiful buried tools.  (I will be working with some of my GTA buddies with serious design talents to make this page more attractive and usable, but I thought I’d share the first proof of concept.)

bT*xJmx*PTEyNjE5NTIxMzQyODQmcHQ9MTI2MTk1MjQ4NDYwNyZwPTIyMTYzMSZkPSZnPTImbz*1ODgwYjZiMjBiMWQ*YWQ2OTgxNTczMjI5Y2Y2ZjA2NCZvZj*w Reframing Googles search options

Update: For those who asked, here is the embed code. Remember to edit height and width for your needs.

<iframe src="http://edu.glogster.com/glog.php?glog_id=4619496&scale=100" width="960" height="1300" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" style="overflow: hidden;"></iframe>

share save 171 16 Reframing Googles search options
Joyce Valenza About Joyce Valenza

Joyce is the teacher-librarian at Springfield Township High School, a technology writer, and a blogger. Follow her on Twitter: @joycevalenza

Comments

1. Joe says:

This tool seems very useful! Thanks! I will show it to all my students.

2. Kristen says:

Joyce, this looks great! Thanks for sharing!

3. nancykeane says:

Thanks Joyce. I am planning a unit on the depths of google for my tech ed class and this will certainly come in handy! They have already learned glogster and wikis so this will also reinforce past learning. You’re the best!

4. Donna says:

Fabulous! What a great idea!

5. Kathie says:

I am happy to see them all on one page, but it may be too cluttered for younger students, I’m afraid. That’s a lot to sort through visually.

6. joycevalenza says:

Sorry, Kathie, I kinda meant this one for high school students. I am working with colleagues on a cleaner look, but perhaps we could eliminate a few of the options for younger learners. (Although I’d want to add some kid-specific search tools for that, as well.)

7. Anna Watkins says:

Joyce, I love look of the page and that you’ve pulled all the Google tools together. The “magic circle” effect is cool, but I find it loses its charm after the first few times. Maybe a different kind of rollover highlight would be less obtrusive?

8. Jayne Davidson says:

Brilliant Joyce. Thanks for putting it all together.

9. Judith Way says:

Fab posters, thanks for sharing Joyce.

10. Polly Farrington says:

Brilliant idea! Thanks for sharing. Will be using this in all my google classes, starting next week. Thanks.

11. Bridget Schaumann says:

This is totally fantastic. Thanks Joyce, you are one of my library heroines.

12. Glenys Lowden says:

Thank you for putting this information into a glog. What a great idea! I have some of the elements in a slideshare but I think the glog is a new and interesting way to identify all the google goods!
    cheers
    Glenys

13. Rhondda says:

Thanks you very much for sharing this is a great idea for helping us keep track of and share the Google tools available to us. It has also given me some ideas for creating other Glogs to help students with researce and reference.