I’ve been talking a lot about curating for and with students lately. As the curation movement gets stickier, more and more librarians and educators are joining.
So I tasked my very able practicum student Chrissy Sirianni to help me pick some Scoop.its to share, offering a taste of the kind of current awareness the tool provides for school library professionals.
Chrissy developed some informal criteria for inclusion:
- Scoop.it score (measure of topic quality based on dynamism, depth, and audience engagement)
- Currency of information (is somebody still actively curating?)
- Content (if it is something we’re interested in!)
Here are our compiled suggestions:
Books and Reading
- Libraries and Reading (42) Curated by Laura Speer Library news and ideas to consider as we anticipate and plan for change
- Young Adult Books (52) Curated by Eric Bateman The latest news in books for teens and anybody who enjoys reading!
- Boys and Reading (39) Curated by Heather Stapleton Tips, ideas and strategies to inspire boys to read.
- eBooks and Reading (69) Curated by Nick Rate eBook news, trends and resources for use in schools
- Readers Advisory For Secondary Schools (54) Curated by Marita Thomson Ways and means of supporting and developing young adult readers
- Graphic novels in the classroom (45) Curated by dilaycock Resources to support teaching with graphic novels
- Reading and Books for YA (63) Curated by Miffy Farquharson Reading and Books for YA is my passion and my life!
- The History and Future of Reading (37) Curated by Joan Vinall-Cox Reading, as we have known it since the invention of the book, changed radically with the invention of the printing press and is changing ..
- ebooks (36) Curated by CarmelG ebooks in K-12 schools
- All Things Caldecott (32) Curated by Margie Culver This topic covers those books that have won the Caldecott Award, been Caldecott Honor award winners or those books that are Caldecott worthy
- School Libraries (70) Curated by Nikki Robertson What’s new or innovative in school libraries
- Embedded Librarianship (58) Curated by Buffy J. Hamilton A collection of resources on how librarians are embedding themselves in learning spaces
- Social Networking for Information Professionals (75) Curated by Judy O’Connell. Social networking and participatory library services
- Teacher Librarians of the 21st Century (44) Curated by Mrs. N Ideas and Resources for the 21st Century Teacher Librarian
- School Library Advocacy (51) Curated by Karen Bonanno Promoting school libraries, programs and teacher librarians/library media specialists
- Libraries as Sites of Enchantment, Participatory Culture, and Learning (67) Curated by Buffy J. Hamilton Ideas and resources to develop the concept of libraries as sites of participatory culture and learning
- Personal Learning Networks for Librarians (58) Curated by Donna Watt Staying ahead of the game, managing your own professional development, joining the dots
- InformationFluencyTransliteracyResearchTools (47) Curated by Joyce Valenza New information strategies for librarians and learners
- SchoolLibrariesTeacherLibrarians (48) Curated by Joyce Valenza News for teacher librarians
- What is a teacher librarian? (29) Curated by Tania Sheko Defining the role of teacher librarians for those who think we just look after books
- Teacher librarians and transliteracy (45) Curated by Sue Krust Explore the evolving role of the teacher librarian
- Teacher-Librarian (59) Curated by Librarian@HOPE Best sites and resources on the web for teacher-librarians
- ResearChameleon on School Libraries(43) Curated by Kathy Malatesta Teaching, mentoring & leading in today’s school libraries
- Rebranding school libraries (53) Curated by Donna Watt Thinking about the perception of school libraries within learning communities, and working to improve their brand. Advocacy.
- Student Learning through School Libraries (57) Curated by lyn_hay Building evidence of impact through research and professional practice
- SCIS (51) Curated by SCIS News and resources about school libraries
- Educational Technology and Libraries (54) Curated by Kim Tairi In libraries we teach, we learn and many of us are early adopters of technology. This is your scoop on those things.
- 21st Century Libraries (60) Curated by Dr. Steve Matthews all things 21st Century library related
Technology in Education
- Educational Technology and Libraries (55) Curated by Kim Tairi In libraries we teach, we learn and many of us are early adopters of technology. This is your scoop on those things.
- educational technology for teachers (78) Curated by Donna Browne What is new and helpful in the classroom
- Technology in Education (63) Curated by Felix Jacomino Great resources for integrating technology and education with the 21st century, mobile learning student in mind
- Technology Integration (67) Curated by Robin SellersEDU Integrate technology in the classroom and across the curriculum from blogs, wikis, Office programs, interactive white boards, to subjects like art, music, writing, reading, and math
- The 21st Century (83) Curated by Susan Bainbridge Implications for the Future, Social Media, OER, ICT Adaptation, Educational Technology.
- Connectivism (72) Curated by Susan Bainbridge Are You Connected? Do You Know What It Means?
- Digital scholar(ship) (67) Curated by antonella esposito Traces of change in research practices and digital environments
- Digital Citizenship in Schools (74) Curated by Judy O’Connell Explore the concept and practice of digital citizenship.
- Googling into a paperless world (73) Curated by kathy pryor Google and all the apps with the Google world
- Learning in a Digital Age (65) Curated by DML Competition Future of thinking and learning in a digital age
- Social Media, Web 2.0, Digital Scholarship (45) Curated by Mohsen Saadatmand Resources related to using networking technologies and digital tools in education and learning.
- Transliteracy (46) Curated by Sue Thomas Transliteracy is the ability to read, write and interact across a range of platforms, tools and media from signing and orality through handwriting, print, TV, radio and film, to digital social networks.
- Wikis for Education (69) Curated by Stephanie Sandifer How do we use wikis in the classroom, in professional learning, for productivity, and in education administration?
- Transmedia: Storytelling for the Digital Age (84) Curated by The Digital Rocking Chair A look at the creative and technical world of immersive storytelling
- Web 3.0 (64) Curated by Pierre Tran Futures of the Web : semantic web, symbiotic web, ubiquitous web, real time web, internet of things, machine to machine, linked data, web..
- Digital Storytelling (71) Curated by José Carlos Digital Storytelling in education
- Web Content & Digital Curation (71) Curated by gdecugis Curation is a hot trend, some say it can change the Web
- Content and Curation for Nonprofits (66) Curated by Beth Kanter Nonprofits struggle with finding the time to create content, but the secret is repurposing, reimagining and curating
- Content Curation World (82) Curated by Robin Good Understanding the Emerging Real-Time News Curation Universe
- Content Curation, Social Media and Beyond (89) Curated by janlgordon Covering the ongoing evolution of social, mobile, disruptive tech, the impact & innovation
- Curation for Learning (66) Curated by Buffy J. Hamilton How people are curating, utilizing, and sharing information
- Content Curation 411 (69) Curated by DiDi The 411 on Content Curation
- Digital Curation for Teachers (51) Curated by catspyjamasnz Exploring the developments in digital curation
- Curation and Libraries and Learning (36 ) Curated by Joyce Valenza New information strategies for librarians and learners