Practically Paradise
Inside Practically Paradise

Summer Blog Blast Tour

Colleen Mondor of ChasingRay blog fame has organized the Summer Blog Blast Tour (SBBT) beginning next week. Unless you are part of the kidlitosphere, you may not have heard of the SBBT, but you will definitely want to make time to visit each of the 16 blogs listed in the schedule to read each interview.  Through 7imp’s help and many emails back and forth, Colleen provided some background as to what this very exciting venture is. I hope you enjoy reading the arguments that paved way for this tour.

In Colleen’s words:

The SBBT came about after the recent conflict between print reviewers and lit bloggers began to make its way across the lit blogosphere. You can read some of my thoughts on that here and here, as posted at my site at the time. I really straddle multiple words – reviewing in print for Booklist, while also having the YA column at Bookslut and writing and reviewing adult titles at Bookslut, Eclectica Magazine and Voices of NOLA (where it’s pretty much all New Orleans all the time!) What struck me as I got sucked into this debate is that what print reviewers think lit bloggers do (particularly as discussed at the NBCC’s Critical Mass blog) and what we actually do accomplish are two very different things.

Basically there are a lot of misconceptions out there (from Richard Ford’s annoying "Terre Haute basement" line to the very recent "bloggers with 18 cats" column at the Library Journal). I think the bloggers in the kidlitosphere in particular provide a service to parents/librarians/booksellers and kids that is available nowhere else. Collectively we write about a crazy amount of books on a weekly basis and can get the word out on the undersung and overlooked titles very quickly and effectively. Further, we include an amazing amount of very educated and very experienced people when it comes to literary matters.

Bottomline – we aren’t a bunch of idiots and I don’t appreciate being dismissed as such.

So I wanted to make a bit of a statement and show just what this one particular segment of the lit blogosphere could do. I decided to organize a large  virtual tour of author interviews as quite frankly it is the most obvious thing that could not be done in a similar manner in print – we have sixteen sites that have confirmed interviews to run next week with 28 authors – several of them providing multiple interviews. There will be over 50 interviews total, starting with Gene Yang running on Sunday, June 17th and Justina Chen Headley running on Saturday, June 22. On most days we have ten interviews running at multiple sites and every site involved will run the daily schedule along with links to the interviews.

What I hope to provide here is a look at the diversity within children’s book publishing as well as across the kidlitosphere itself. We get to champion a lot of authors we admire and we get to show that we can do something unique for readers.

It’s a win/win situation.

The authors were chosen for specific reasons – I contacted bloggers I knew and was familiar with and once we had a list of bloggers we all nominated authors. I wanted to include authors who wrote books that would appeal to girls and boys – and not get too gender specific heavy either way. I also wanted books for GLBT readers and titles that had characters of various ethnicities. From there I wanted to cross genres: Sci Fi, Fantasy, Mystery, Romance, Drama, Coming-of-age, Adventure and on and on. Finally, I wanted to be sure to include graphic novelists and we also got Svetalana Chmakova, a manga novelist. The group is still not as all encompassing as I hoped, but it is damn close and I know we will only get better at this in the future.

In the end I hope that we bring some authors and their titles some new attention and also shake things up a bit in the larger literary world. I work in print and I have a lot of respect for people who work in print but this is not about that world – the SBBT is about showing what the internet is capable of and I think we have done that quite effectively with this project.

Comments

1. Julie Danielson says:

Hi, Diane! Thanks for covering this. Colleen has worked very hard on it, and it’s going to be awesome.

2. Anne says:

We were very happy to visit your site – a very original site.

3. Mike2007 says:

Hello!

The interesting name of a site – http://www.schoollibraryjournal.com how you managed to get such beautiful name of the domain?
    Very interesting site though there is no couple of sections. But section this here very much even by the way.

I 7 hours wandered on a network, have not left yet íâ your forum! I think, I here shall stay for a long time!

Thanks for the info, http://www.schoollibraryjournal.com!

4. Bexpesque says:

In most cases a product’s rating went down, expanding the range between highest and lowest rated.Unlike Kaspersky, Symantec provides Norton users with little explanation of its features or settings, either in the configuration settings or on its technical support section. Also we don’t like Norton’s dependency on Internet Explorer to explain Help items or services provided by Symantec (windows pop up in IE even when Firefox is your default browser), or that fee-based services have once again crept into the technical support section. Having improved a lot
    last year in Symantec’s flagship antivirus product, it makes sense we’d see more modest enhancements for this year’s Norton AntiVirus 2008. While Norton
    AntiVirus.

5. shelleyrubic says:

Hey All, it’s always nice to meet new people..
    Just wanted to introduce my self as new comer into the forum and for you all please feel free to ad me to your buddy list

6. SheepAppowdoG says:

Find and share videos at Classic Car Videos by Classic-Cars.org.ua

7. kituetourry says:

I am looking at installing 18 replacement windows that are the Pella Encompass model. What is the overall performance/quality of the window? How much is the average size window cost for the window + replacement? I am getting quoted $200 per opening. Is this reasonable ?
    Please reply here Replacements.org.ua , I rarely go there, thanks!

8. Unmaniaft says:

Here are the latest valid Godaddy codes. I just used OK9 today to pick up some new .com domains and it worked great.

OK7 – 10% off everything
    OK8 – 20% Off $50 or More
    OK9 – 30% off Domain Renewals or New domain registration.

**Special Go Daddy Code Expires Aug 31, 2009.
    Godaddy Coupon OK25 25% off all hosting plans or any order of $91 or more.

9. Unmaniaft says:

Here’s the best new Go Daddy coupons. I just used OK9 to renew some .com domains and it worked without a problem.

OK7 – 10% Discount on total order
    OK8 – 20% off $50 or more
    OK9 – 30% off Domain Registration

**Special Go Daddy Promo Code Valid through Aug 31, 2009.
    Go Daddy Promo Code OK25 25% off all hosting plans or any order of $91 or more.

10. Jinny says:

Interesting, I`ll quote it on my site later.
    Have a nice day

11. HoopsyMus says:

To choose solar power or not to choose solar power? That is the question!

When your electrical bill is increasing each and every month, don’t despair! There are still a few things you can do. For example, you could:

* cry and pull out your hair
    * refuse to pay and get cut off and have no utilities
    * work harder and more hours each month to keep up the rising costs
    * invest in other alternative sources of energy to cut the electrical utility bill.

One of the alternative sources of energy you should consider is solar energy. However, let’s not beat about the bush. If you do decide to choose solar power, you will need to invest some hard cash to get it started. That means putting in your own (or borrowed) money, but, don’t forget that the investment really will make a huge difference for now and many years to come.

Kyocera Solar Panels