Practically Paradise
Inside Practically Paradise

Big News!! It’s OFFICIAL!

I am moving to MIDDLE SCHOOL next year. I am very excited to announce that I am now the library information specialist for John F Kennedy Middle School in Nashville.

The JFK building has been housing the Antioch High School 9th graders while JFK students have been with the Marshall Middle School students in their building. We will move the collection this summer and welcome the students into their brand new building this fall.

Now, where do I start first? I have taught K-9 before. I have taught high school and adult ESL in Taiwan. I have taught adults in Germany, but I have never officially taught only grades 5-8. Give me your advice, your reading lists for my summer, your favorite technology plans….I’m all ears. I was ready for a new challenge. I’d better start searching the archives of LM_NET.

Please leave a comment of celebration with me. I’m not leaving the elementary world totally behind. I have already made arrangements to work with 3 elementary schools early in the morning throughout next year so I can  continue to test books with students. The elementary school near my house runs from 7:00 to 2:15 and my school won’t start until 8:45 so I’ll have a little time in the morning for my coffee.

I’m so excited. Breakfast blog clubs, writers groups, readers’ groups, afterschool groups, lunch groups, graphic novel groups, technology clubs. We are going to have a blast. Nobody warn the teachers that I’m a work-aholic, okay? I don’t want to totally scare the faculty before I have a chance to dazzle them with the combined brilliance of your insights and LM_NET’s experience.

Comments

1. Kathy Ishizuka says:

Wow. Congratulations, Diane!

2. Carl Harvey says:

Congrats, Diane! It is always fun starting new adventures and if anyone was up to the task of working with middle school students it would be you! I’m sure it won’t take your staff and students very long at all to figure out that they have an amazing library media specialist!!!

3. Elizabeth Dingmann says:

Congratulations, Diane! What an exciting opportunity!

4. Alice Yucht says:

Congrats, Diane!
    You will love middle school: lots of fun stuffr as well as “serious research” opportunities!

5. CATHERINE NELSON says:

What an exciting way to reinvigorate your career too. I moved to middle school last year, and I love it. it takes someone who really wants to be there. Advice–read their books–they need to believe you know the book well to promote it. Learn to fogive and forget–middle schoolers can be quite fickle. Image to them is everything. Friends are most important. Congrats–I look forward to your new middle school perspective.

6. Kristin F says:

Congratulations, Diane! What will you do with the time you used to spend tying kids’ shoes?!?

7. Diane Chen says:

My enthusiasm just can’t contain itself right now. I have printed/downloaded holdings records so I can analyze the collection this summer without seeing it. Since it is in boxes to be moved. I’m working on preparing the library website in my spare time this summer, but I really cannot wait to work myself to death. Those students are going to read like they never thought they would!