On Sunday, July 12, a panel of 17 nonfiction authors and a moderator will appear at the American Library Association (ALA) Annual Conference at McCormick Place in Chicago. "Nonfiction Book Blast! Booktalks Your Reluctant Readers Can’t Resist" presents booktalks librarians can use to interest young readers in nonfiction. The panel appears from 10:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. in Convention Center Room W181 (Level 1 of the West Building). Participating authors and their books include:
* Lisa Rondinelli Albert, Stephenie Meyer: Author of the Twilight Saga (Enslow, 2009), So You Want to Be a Film or TV Actor (Enslow, 2008)
*Mary Bowman-Kruhm, The Leakeys: A Biography (Prometheus Books, 2009)
* Laura Crawford, In Arctic Waters (Sylvan Dell Publishing), The Pilgrims’ Thanksgiving From A to Z (Pelican Publishing), Postcards From Chicago (Raven Tree Press)
* Jeri Chase Ferris, With Open Hands: The Story of Biddy Mason (Lerner), Arctic Explorer: Matthew Henson (Lerner)
* Kelly Milner Halls, Dinosaur Parade (Lark/Sterling Publishers, 2008), Saving the Baghdad Zoo (HarperCollins/Greenwillow, 2009), Tales of the Cryptids (Darby Creek Publishing, 2006)
* Amy S. Hansen, Bugs and Bugsicles: Insects in the Winter (Boyds Mills Press, 2010), Touch the Earth (NASA and NFB, 2009)
* Gwendolyn Hooks, Makers and Takers (Rourke Publishing, 2008)
* Katherine L. House, Lighthouses for Kids: History, Science, and Lore with 21 Activities (Chicago Review Press, 2008)
* Patricia K. Kummer, The Great Barrier Reef (Marshall Cavendish Benchmark, 2009), The Great Lakes (Marshall Cavendish Benchmark, 2009), North Korea, and South Korea (Scholastic/Children’s Press, 2008)
* Suzanne Lieurance, The Triangle Shirtwaist Fire and Sweatshop Reform in American History (Enslow)
* JoAnn Early Macken, Flip, Float, Fly: Seeds on the Move (Holiday House, 2008)
* Carla Killough McClafferty, In Defiance of Hitler: The Secret Mission of Varian Fry (Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 2008)
* Wendie Old, The Halloween Book of Facts and Fun (Albert Whitman), The Groundhog Day Book of Facts and Fun (Albert Whitman)
* April Pulley Sayre, Honk, Honk, Goose: Canada Geese Start a Family (Henry Holt, 2009)
* Anastasia Suen, Wired (Charlesbridge, 2007), The U.S. Supreme Court (Picture Window Books)
* Christine Taylor-Butler, Sacred Mountain: Everest (Lee and Low Books, 2009)
* Rebecca Hogue Wojahn and Donald Wojahn, Follow That Food Chain (Lerner, 2009) (Hey, I blogged about this one!)
Library Media Specialist Sharon Mitchell will be the panel moderator. We hope to see you there!
The authors have also collaborated to produce a wiki (Nonfiction Book Blast: http://nfbookblast.pbworks.com) that includes all the booktalks, searchable by title, author, subject, and intended age level. The front page includes links to the authors’ web sites. After the conference, other authors, librarians, and interested readers can add booktalks of their own. Check it out!
JoAnn Early Macken will be autographing Flip, Float, Fly: Seeds on the Move at the Holiday House Booth, #2138 in the West Building, from 1:00-1:30 p.m.