The use of procedures as excuses instead of ways to help.
Policies and procedures prevent participation.
If you were to consider the student’s experience in the library as a journey along the information highway, are you building fast lanes & bypasses or roadblocks?
What could be a roadblock?
· Pass systems
· Time limits
· Limiting # of books checked out
· Food & drink rules
· Nowhere to question or ask
· Locations of the librarian
· Displays & signs (do you welcome & encourage returns) J
· Talking & Quiet levels that prohibit group work
· Low expectations