Someday My Printz Will Come
Inside Someday My Printz Will Come

Where have we been?

Hi!

We kind of disappeared for a week there, sorry! There were vacations! And back to school panics! And a guest post from Joy covering another preview that I failed to properly queue. Or possibly that the software failed on, given the comment weirdness, but I kind of suspect it was my fault.

And now we’re counting down to the contenda list release date!

I’ll post Joy’s preview coverage and my own coverage of another summer preview this week, and in the meantime, if there is a book you want to put forward as a contenda, stars notwithstanding (we’re still using the 3-star auto-contenda rule, arbitrary as it is, for the sake of convenience), please put the title forward in the comments here, ideally with author and pub date if it isn’t already out.

Thanks all, and soon enough, we’ll let the games begin!

share save 171 16 Where have we been?
About Karyn Silverman

Karyn Silverman is the High School Librarian and Educational Technology Department Chair at LREI, Little Red School House & Elisabeth Irwin High School (say that ten times fast!). Karyn has served on YALSA’s Quick Picks and Best Books committees and was a member of the 2009 Printz committee. She has reviewed for Kirkus and School Library Journal. She has a lot of opinions about almost everything (except current events, because she’s too busy reading YA literature to follow the news). Said opinions do not reflect the attitudes or opinions of SLJ, LREI, YALSA or any other institutions with which she is affiliated. Find her on Twitter @InfoWitch or e-mail her at karynsilverman at gmail dot com.

Comments

1. Of course I can’t remember whether we’ve talked about these, I haven’t read most of them, and perhaps the majority have enough stars to be auto-contendas, but here are books that people are mentioning a lot lately:
    THE DIVINERS
    ASK THE PASSENGERS
    THE BRIDES OF ROLLROCK ISLAND
    SOMETHING LIKE NORMAL
    FOR DARKNESS SHOWS THE STARS
    I still like the Blythe Woolston’s underdog, CATCH & RELEASE
    And has anyone read THE DARKEST MINDS, due out in December?

Also, may I just put in a pitch here for Mark and Sarah Flowers’s immensely fun blog? You all should totally follow it. The format alone–they write letters to each other–is delightful. But it’s also just plain smart. “Crossreferencing” and “Someday” are the best places to discuss YA lit online right now!

2. Cecilia says:

I’ll toss THE RAVEN BOYS, Maggie Stiefvater’s latest out there.

3. Paul says:

So far to me the standout titles are:

THE DROWNED CITIES
    AFTER THE SNOW
    SERAPHINA
    THE WICKED AND THE JUST
    CODE NAME VERITY (awesome, but is it young adult??)

I was amazed by SPLENDORS AND GLOOMS, but it’s probably more Newbery. Shusterman’s UNWIND sequel UNWHOLLY was fantastic but will struggle being a sequel.

Looking forward to reading- THE DIVINERS, RAVEN BOYS, SAFEKEEPING, ASK THE PASSENGERS

I’m really looking forward to your blog entries as we get closer to January!

4. Eric says:

Code Name Verity
    Bomb: The Race to Build–and Steal–the World’s Most Dangerous Weapon – I’m just finishing this now but WOW even better than his Horn winning Notorious Benedict Arnold from a year ago.

5. Adele says:

Graffiti Moon

6. Kelly says:

The Children and the Wolves by Adam Rapp is my standout this year in terms of thinking Printz. Potential other titles — and I’m going based on their literary merit — are My Book of Life by Angel by Martine Leavitt and Safekeeping by Karen Hesse (both are September pub dates).

7. Emily H. says:

The YA books that have most impressed me this year are –

CODE NAME VERITY
    RAILSEA
    ARISTOTLE AND DANTE DISCOVER THE SECRETS OF THE UNIVERSE
    THE BRIDES OF ROLLROCK ISLAND

There are a few other books that I read and loved — RADIANT DAYS, KEEPING THE CASTLE, THE DISENCHANTMENTS — but I think they didn’t quite leave the impression on me that those four did.

8. Mark Flowers says:

@ Eric – I’m with you all the way on Bomb. It’s hands down my favorite NF of the year, and it’s top 3 or 4 YA.

@ Adele – I loved Grafitti Moon too – I thought it was a bit too flawed for Printz, but happy to see that others liked it.

9. Mark Flowers says:

@Elizabeth – I’m 100 pages into The Darkest Minds, and despite being totally burned out on dystopias, I’m quite enjoying it.

10. Adam Silvera says:

THE LOST GIRL by Sangu Mandanna. The cover has a very commercial feel to it, but it’s magnificent from the first page and on.

Haven’t finished it yet, but EVERY DAY by David Levithan sounds worthy.

Can we expect to see THE FAULT IN OUR STARS somewhere in the mix?

11. Hope Baugh says:

My favorite so far this year is Seraphina by Rachel Hartman, but I have MANY others still to read and I am looking forward to the discussion here.

12. Wendy says:

Why wouldn’t Code Name Verity be young adult?

• Karyn Silverman says:

@Wendy, Code Name Verity is YA– and is currently my frontrunner for the Printz! What led you to think it wasn’t?

13. Danielle says:

‘Graffiti Moon’ by Cath Crowley

14. Hope Baugh says:

I haven’t read Code Name Verity yet, but I, too, read somewhere that someone thought it wasn’t really YA but didn’t give reasons, just mentioned it in passing. I thought it might have been one of the Flowers but when I went back and re-read their posts, they both love the book as a YA title. So…I have nothing to add except that I share Wendy’s question.

By the way, I _LOVE_ Mark and Sarah Flowers’ “Crossreferencing” blog! Thanks, Elizabeth, for pointing it out. I agree that it is fun and thought-provoking to read it along with “Someday My Printz…” Thanks, Mark and Sarah, for writing it!

David Levithan’s new book, Every Day, came in for me at my library last night. Yay!

15. Mark Flowers says:

The reference to CNV as not-YA was a comment by Paul on August 25 on this post (he said: “awesome, but is it young adult?”).

The answer, for Paul, is as Karyn has already said, CNV is definitely YA. The reasoning is that the Printz manual’s only age requirement is that the publisher lists the book as aimed at somewhere in the 12-18 range. I think it would be a fascinating discussion to talk about books marketed as YA that perhaps are not “really” YA, but it’s a discussion for a different blog.

Thanks, Hope, for the kind words about our blog. I’m blushing.

16. Hope Baugh says:

I could have sworn I re-read all of the comments here, but I missed Paul’s! Just like when you’re looking for a book that the computer catalog says is “on shelf” – sometimes it takes two pairs of eyes to find it! (hah!)

17. Hope Baugh says:

I almost forgot to mention one other book that I’ve put on hold because a voracious reader colleague said it is her favorite of the year so far:

LONG LANKIN, by Lindsey Barraclough.

Has anyone here read that one yet?

18. Adele says:

@mark – Then I really wish you’d read the Australian version. It wasn’t flawed – it was a modern Australian YA classic. I have heard many changes were made for the American market….

19. Mark Flowers says:

@adele – interesting. Do you have a copy of the Aussie version you’d be willing to part with?

Trackbacks

1. [...] My Printz Will Come to this book being a personal favorite but flawed, and a fellow commenter named Adele responded: “I really wish you’d read the Australian version. It wasn’t flawed – it was a modern [...]