Someday My Printz Will Come
Inside Someday My Printz Will Come

The Votes Are In — But the Winner Isn’t!

blank votes The Votes Are In    But the Winner Isnt!

The points, stripped of titles. Can you guess what the tied two might be?

You voted, and we have the results.

And… we’ll be voting again shortly, because we also have a tie.

But before we dip into the results, a few words:

Thank you! For playing along with us, for voting, for reading the blog, but mostly for caring about these books. Although only one book will win on Monday, and no more than four additional titles will be recognized with honors, your passion for so many more than five titles is critical and inspiring and a testament to the great year we’ve had in YA lit (previous snarking notwithstanding).

We do this blog because we love the books and the robust, amazing world of YA lit, and because in our lives, it actually matters who takes home the gold on Monday — and so we say thanks for caring too (it makes us feel less alone!) and thanks for championing great books for the teens with whom we work.

Ok, now let’s dig in.

We had 39 voters this year, which is slightly more than four times the RealCommittee numbers.

35 people voted for three titles from the nomination list we had generated as a group; three voted for two titles from the shortlist and included a write-in vote (for which we don’t blame them — the list had some great titles but also lacked some great titles) and one lone holdout refused to give any book that final third place point, measly as it was, and only voted for a first and second place book.

We had 28 nominations on the shortlist, although only 27 discreet titles (we listed Boxers, Saints, and Boxers & Saints as three options). 11 individual titles received at least one first place vote; 8 titles (10 if we include the two write-ins) received only second or third place votes; and 9 titles received 0 votes, including Boxers as an individual title and Saints as an individual title. One of the write-ins (The Golden Day) received votes from two people, and we’re actually going to retroactively consider both write-ins formal nominations and add them to the tie-breaking runoff.

Here’s the point spread for the 21 books that received votes, now with titles:

Screen Shot 2014 01 22 at 3.14.11 PM1 500x311 The Votes Are In    But the Winner Isnt!

Click through for a slightly larger version.

For those of you without reading glasses, that’s 64 points each for Boxers & Saints AS ONE BOOK and Eleanor & Park (also one book). Ampersands for the win!

Fascinatingly, the tie has nothing to do with weighted votes — each received 18 votes, broken down 9-5-4.

The next three closest titles in terms of points are Far Far Away with 33 points (5-2-2); Winger with 24 (4-1-1); and The Midnight Dress with 23 (2-4-1).

However, if we look at voters rather than points, some interesting data emerges. Following our first place tie, the next three titles in terms of number of supporters are Far Far Away (9); Black Helicopters (8); and then four titles with 7 voters apiece — Rose Under Fire, The Midnight Dress, The Summer Prince, and Midwinterblood. All of which goes to show just how important the order of your votes can be, because the weighted vote and consensus vote are vying for the top slot — Winger had fewer supporters overall, but almost all of them put it first, whereas Black Helicopters was a frequent third place vote, which might bode well for an honor slot but made it place 9th in terms of points.

Prefer that in visuals? Take a look at these two charts side by side. The lefthand shows voter numbers, while the righthand is points. Books are in the same order in each chart, so it’s easy to see how voters and points do not line up the same.*

Screen Shot 2014 01 22 at 3.15.45 PM 500x312 The Votes Are In    But the Winner Isnt!Screen Shot 2014 01 22 at 3.15.24 PM 500x312 The Votes Are In    But the Winner Isnt!

So now that you’ve seen the results, it’s time to vote again! Here’s how runoff votes work for the RealPrintz: Titles with 0 points in the initial vote are taken out off the ballot, then everything left is discussed again, and then everyone votes 1-2-3 of the remaining books, weighted 5-3-1, but now with more information and thus more opportunity to strategize (and some of the second round of discussion can be strategic too).

So here’s our new, shorter shortlist, alphabetized by title, ready for final arguments. Comments are open — fire away, and we’ll run the runoff in the next post.

17 & Gone
All the Truth That’s In Me
Black Helicopters
Boxers & Saints (as a single entity)
Charm & Strange
Mortal Fire
Rose Under Fire
September Girls
Sorrow’s Knot
The Summer Prince
Winger

*We chopped off the outliers — E&P and B&S on one end, and then the bottom range of books which were low in voters and points — to make the charts a bit less crowded and also because the middle of the bell curve is the most interesting, data-wise.

The Pyrite Printz, or Pyrite, is the Someday My Printz Will Come mock Printz deliberation, and should not in any way be confused with YALSA’s Michael L. Printz Award, often referred to here as the RealPrintz or Printz. Our predictions, conversations, and speculation about potential RealPrintz contenders and winners reflect only our own best guesses and are not affiliated with YALSA or the RealPrintz committee. You probably figured that out on your own, but we like to make it clear!

share save 171 16 The Votes Are In    But the Winner Isnt!

Comments

1. Karyn Silverman says:

Ok, I’ll kick it off. I just can’t see how E&P, much as I loved it, is at the same level as some of the other books.
    And if anyone can point to any flaws in The Midnight Dress, it’ll be news to me — it’s so tightly, carefully executed, a work of real craftsmanship. It’s not my biggest heart book, but there are flaws, however slight, with my heart books, so Midnight Dress has my top vote, unless someone can convince me otherwise.

• Maureen E says:

Totally agree on E&P. Haven’t finished The Midnight Dress yet, but I’m very impressed by it so far.

• Jonathan Hunt Jonathan Hunt says:

I found E&P to have a slow beginning, but otherwise I can’t find much fault with it. This is a wonderful romance (and it only ever wanted to be a romance–it’s not a mash-up of romance plus some other genre). So given that, I think the romantic tension and the alternating viewpoints drives the suspense in the plot, the characters are wonderfully drawn and their narrative arc, both individually and collectively (as a couple) is similarly well done. Loved the Omaha setting. Sentence level writing was great. Theme wasn’t overly ambitious, but, hey, they can’t all be MORTAL FIRE. I also think FANGIRL is wonderful, and wouldn’t mind seeing Rowell with two books recognized.

• Joy says:

I’m so conflicted about this. I LOVE E&P. But I was surprised to see it tie with Boxers & Saints for first. They’re very different titles, but while I find little to no fault with Boxers & Saints, I can point to some problems in E&P. Although I think these are small problems when one considers how amazing the rest of the book is, I still think Boxers & Saints is better work. All that being said, I also think that Fangirl is the better Rowell book of the year. And if I ever finish refining my ideas, I’ll have a review up soon!

• Jonathan Hunt Jonathan Hunt says:

Okay, but I still don’t understand how BLACK HELICOPTERS and SEPTEMBER GIRLS are better than ELEANOR & PARK and FANGIRL. :-(

• Joy says:

Ha, fair enough. I haven’t actually read September Girls, and am basing my vote purely on very persuasive arguments at the Mock Pritnz Karyn and I hosted last weekend. However, as I write my review of Fangirl (am I procrastinating by hanging out in the comments? Absolutely.) I think I’m actually starting to convince myself that it’s better than Black Helicopters.

Gah! I feel confident evaluating books individually, but as soon as it comes to ranking and comparison I waffle and all my indecisiveness comes out. Awards season is hard!

• Karyn Silverman says:

I’ll entertain that re: Black Helicopters, but you’re just wrong about September Girls!

2. Miriam says:

Aw, man, you mean I could’ve written in TEETH?

Looks like it’s time to abandon my beloved KINGDOM and throw my support more strongly behind SUMMER PRINCE and ROSE… but do I continue to ignore the race for the gold in favor of getting my top books the silver, or do I throw my support behind my favored option of the top two? Decisions, decisions.

3. Hannahlily says:

I think I’m going to throw my weight behind The Midnight Dress too. I’m rereading now and Karyn, you’re right, I can’t really find any flaws. From the books last year, my heart will forever belong to the horrific creepiness of Scowler, but I realize it’s probably too creaky to generate consensus (Wish I would have read it before last week so I could have at least started a discussion about it!)

I loved reading E&P, but it hasn’t stayed in my mind and I just don’t feel it has the thematic depth of many of the other books on the list.

4. Jonathan Hunt Jonathan Hunt says:

I forgot to vote in the previous round, but MORTAL FIRE would’ve been my top choice, and BOXERS & SAINTS, ELEANOR & PARK, and WHAT THE HEART KNOWS would have vied for my other two spots I’m definitely keeping MORTAL FIRE number one, but I’m dithering about the order of the other two . . .

• Mark Flowers says:

I somehow completely forgot MORTAL FIRE on the first vote – possibly because I would rather have E&P win than many of the other favorite ( Midwinterblood). But I’ll gladly through my number 2 vote to MORTAL FIRE this time. I agree with Jonathan that it is one of the best written, most ambitious books of the year.

• Karyn Silverman says:

I want to believe you, because Mortal Fire IS a heart book and I do have lots of admiration, but I still have trouble with Canny and Marli v every other aspect of Canny — really Canny sat at the pool and giggled? Please convince me more, Jonathan and Mark. Also, have you read the short story about Ghislain in the years between Sisema and Canny’s times at the house? It’s fantastic.

• Jonathan Hunt Jonathan Hunt says:

Karyn, I can’t seem to find the scene with the girls giggling. I’ll keep looking for it, but do you know the page number offhand? I remember the scene (but not the giggling).

Not having those pages in front of me, I’m not sure giggling necessarily makes the characterization inconsistent because I think all people giggle, some more than others, and we’re giving such brief glimpses into Canny’s past that I’m not sure that I can take that as representative of her general demeanor.

I certainly find it more plausible that a girl would giggle by the pool than a guy would notice the heaviness in his dick. Do dicks really feel light or heavy? Or do they go through various stages of erection? Maybe I have a special dick, but I don’t think so. It’s the kind of detail that makes me think this narrator has an unnatural hyperawareness of himself. If his dick felt heavy (and I’m not at all convinced that it would) wouldn’t it be so natural that it wouldn’t be worth commenting on in the narrative? It also makes me think this story is geared to people who don’t have dicks. Am I wrong or did the men at your Mock Printz fall all over themselves to praise this one?

• Jonathan Hunt Jonathan Hunt says:

Last paragraph is obviously referencing SEPTEMBER GIRLS not MORTAL FIRE.

• Karyn Silverman says:

I am sitting here laughing so much I just about wet myself, so thank you very much!

We only had one guy at our mock — our local librarian community is actually even more heavily female than national averages would indicate, I think — and he had only skimmed September Girls because he hadn’t gotten his hands on it in time. So, all women, and apparently we all thought that was a perfectly acceptable and potentially likely scenario, but obviously we have no experience with having external genitalia. I do know my ovaries have LOTS of feelings at times, so it seemed reasonable that Seth’s dick would also have sensations. But I’ll take you at your word that this is not, in fact, a reasonable awareness.

I’ll find the passage tonight when I can get my hands on my copy of Mortal Fire. It was in a flashback-ish passage, when Canny is remembering those last summer days before Marli got sick, I believe the same passage as when she describes the grittiness of the icepop that probably carried the polio.

• Jonathan Hunt Jonathan Hunt says:

Well, I’m open to being convinced by some other guys, but I think the predominant sensation is volume rather than weight. Regardless, I think it’s tantamount to commenting on other involuntary body sensations (blinking, breathing, etc).

I don’t know that anyone has explicitly said this, but I get the feeling that many people here believe that theme trumps the other literary elements–that if you can write a book about the book, it somehow has more literary excellence. I think SEPTEMBER GIRLS wants to be more important than ELEANOR & PARK or FANGIRL, but I don’t think that actually makes it better.

I’ll keep skimming for the MORTAL FIRE passage. I remember reading it, but since Knox often does that flashback stuff, it’s hard for me to locate it.

5. Maureen E says:

My top two votes are solid: SORROW’S KNOT and ROSE. But now I am dithering between SEPTEMBER GIRLS and THE SUMMER PRINCE for my third. Or maybe MORTAL FIRE.

I thought FAR, FAR AWAY was really flawed, so I’m a bit surprised to see how much support it has.

6. AnneB says:

Is this voting here or just chatting?

If voting- I say that Boxers and Saints (together) wins; Eleanor and Park is 2nd; and Far Far Away is third.

I haven’t read The Midnight Dress so I can’t vote for it. I dislike strongly September Girls so I hope it doesn’t do well. I am oddly attracted to Midwinterblood, but I am out of votes.

I actually have no idea what the Printz committee will do. Last year I was sure that Dodger would get some prize and I was right. But this year I have no such inspiration. I see Far Far Away on Mock Newbery lists. Can a book win both a Newbery and a Printz?

• Karyn Silverman says:

Technically voting is in the other post’s comments but I’ve logged these into our spreadsheet, so they’ll be tallied in.

7. Alissa says:

I’m of the school who thought SEPTEMBER GIRLS was genius, but I went into it with no expectations. A lot of the criticisms I’ve heard seem to stem from readers being mislead into thinking the story would be a light, beachy romance (there were romantic elements, yes, but it was really more of a paranormal mystery than anything else). This, in turn, lead to disappointment. Understandably so. The cover of a couple kissing can be blamed for that one. Proof positive that one shouldn’t judge by appearances, book or otherwise.

SUMMER PRINCE… I’d heard A LOT of positive hype leading up to reading it. When I finally got my hands on it, I was disappointed (same thing happened with Hunger Games). I couldn’t get into the story, the characters, the world. It all fell flat for me and reminded me of a thousand (ok, not that many) other dystopians I’d read.

MIDNIGHT DRESS… I just picked it up and am excited to begin. I’ve heard it’s good, but I haven’t been flooded with hype and hoopla about it and, really, don’t know much about it. Will let you know what I think when I finish.