Someday My Printz Will Come
Inside Someday My Printz Will Come

Pyrite Time! Whoo!

CC-licensed image by Flickr user ideonexus

CC-licensed image by Flickr user ideonexus

It’s Pyrite time! Did you think we weren’t doing it this year? Nah, we just wanted to wait until we’d covered as much as possible of the year’s best.

Voting will happen in the comments. We’ll be doing our best to adhere to the RealPrintz voting procedures, as follows:

• Any officially nominated book is eligible; in our case, that means anything that’s been written up this season, plus the handful of books we’ll be posting in the next week*
  • Voting for the winner books takes place first (the honor book vote will follow, and all books other than the winner will be eligible for the honor vote, regardless of whether they received votes in this round)
  • Votes are weighted, 5 points for first place, 3 for second, 1 for first — Be sure to number your votes! You don’t have to vote for three books but you can’t skip positions – if you vote for two books, they get 5 and 3 points, not 5 and 1 or 3 and 1.

Voting will stay open until midday Wednesday, with the goal of posting our Pyrite winner by Wednesday evening

Take a minute to read back through all our “nominations” this year or just vote away!

*TK this week, in some cases in very brief form: The Smell of Other People’s Houses; Rani Patel in Full Effect; Tell Me Something Real; Girl Mans Up; Merrow; Julia Vanishes; Steeplejack; Spontaneous; Beast; Still Life with Tornado; Scythe; The Reader

About Karyn Silverman

Karyn Silverman is the High School Librarian and Educational Technology Department Chair at LREI, Little Red School House & Elisabeth Irwin High School (say that ten times fast!). Karyn has served on YALSA’s Quick Picks and Best Books committees and was a member of the 2009 Printz committee. She has reviewed for Kirkus and School Library Journal. She has a lot of opinions about almost everything, as long as all the things are books. Said opinions do not reflect the attitudes or opinions of SLJ, LREI, YALSA or any other institutions with which she is affiliated. Find her on Twitter @InfoWitch or e-mail her at karynsilverman at gmail dot com.

Comments

1. 1. The Lie Tree
    2. Golden Boys

1. The Lie Tree
    2. Samurai Rising
    3. The Sun is Also a Star

10. 1. Railhead
    2. March Book 3
    3. The Lie Tree

11. Oof, it’s strategy time for me–made both easier and harder by at least nine sets of votes being public before I vote. Two of my favorites are in the to-cover-this week list, so do I vote for them in hopes of keeping them alive, or do I vote for two of my probably-very-slightly-less-favorites which are already showing up on ballots in the hopes of supporting them over some of the others I don’t care for as much? DECISIONS.

Decisions which are not being made right now. Delay is strategy, too.

12. 1. Lucy and Linh
    2. The Serpent King
    3. We Are the Ants

13. Meredith Burton says:

My votes are:

1. The Passion of Dolssa.
    2. Wolf Hollow.
    3. Some Kind of Happiness.

I’ve only just discovered this blog and don’t know if you’ve covered my last two votes or not. If you haven’t I apologize. Even so, Dolssa was one of my favorite reads of 2016. Just reminds me how much great reading I have to look forward to. Thanks for the information.

14. 1. Still Life with Tornado
    2. The Sun is Also a Star
    3. March Book 3

I could not put down any of these, so hard to rank them 1-3!
    I’ve gotta read Dolssa ASAP. Seems like a contender for sure. It’s sitting right on my desk!

15. 1. March 3
    2. Girl Mans Up
    3. Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur, BFF, 1

16. Maureen S says:

1 – Passion of Dolssa
    2 – March Book 3
    3 – Wolf Hollow

Tough year to pick this year!

17. The Lie Tree
    The Female of the Species

(I have two choices for third place – but neither is eligible – Crooked Kingdom, since it’s part of a series – and Learning to Swear in America – so funny! – maybe next year we can talk again about the literary value of series books – and that, yes, there IS a place for humor in teen fiction!)

18. So many good books. How to choose?

The Passion of Dolssa
    When the Moon Was Ours
    My Lady Jane

• OK. If I can’t vote for WHEN THE MOON WAS OURS, move up MY LADY JANE to two and put WE ARE THE ANTS in third.

• Karyn Silverman says:

Hey Sharon, Just letting you know I counted your votes with your revised plan, with MLJ at 2 and Ants in your third slot. Thanks!

19. 1. Still Life with Tornado
    2. The Sun is Also a Star
    3. Some Kind of Happiness

20. The Passion of Dolssa
    Still Life With Tornado
    The Reader

21. 1. The Passion of Dolssa
    2. March Book 3
    3. The Lie Tree

22. Jenna Friebel says:

1. The Passion of Dolssa
    2. Burn Baby Burn
    3. The Lie Tree

I believe you guys never covered “The Moon Was Ours” — otherwise that would definitely be on my list.

• Jenna Friebel says:

–I meant “When the Moon Was Ours”

• I still voted for When the Moon Was Ours. Love that book. Honestly.

• Joy Piedmont says:

WHEN THE MOON WAS OURS was in my pile (from the larger, planning list that Sarah, Karyn, and I use) and I ultimately decided that I couldn’t justify covering it here. Although the language is lovely, I found that it got in the way of character development. When magic realism works, it’s amazing, and I think McLemore did a beautiful job of it with THE WEIGHT OF FEATHERS. My experience of that book may have had me expecting the moon (pun kind of intended?) with this one so maybe I’m not being fair.

Why is it a top pick for you?

• I loved The Weight of Feathers but wound up shelving When The Moon Was Ours 50 pages in even though I’d been really excited about it (magical realism and queer), not because it was bad but just because I was finding it slow and not all that interesting–my mind wandered while reading and I wasn’t inclined to pick it back up after a break.

• Karyn Silverman says:

I thought it was overdone and there was a (SPOILER) magical sex change that really didn’t work for me.

• When the Moon Was Ours had a fairy tale quality to it but it dealt with such a timely issue of gender identity. The writing was so evocative and descriptive. I felt like I was there witnessing it all first hand.

23. 1. Lucy and Linh
    2. The Sun is Also a Star
    3. The Reader

24. Still Life With Tornado
    Some Kind of Happiness
    The Passion of Dolssa

25. Okay, enough strategy,* I’d better get my vote on.

1. The Lie Tree
    2. Wolf Hollow^
    3. The Serpent King
    ____________
    * I’m saving my being-covered-this-week favorites for the honor vote, since that’s entirely separate from this vote

^ I’m counting I’m counting its “honorable mention” in the upper-MG post (http://blogs.slj.com/printzblog/2016/11/28/the-thin-line/) as a nomination; if that’s deemed invalid, can Serpent King be moved up to #2 and Merrow added as a #3, despite what the first footnote says?

• Karyn Silverman says:

I counted the honorable mention as a post, since we intended to cover Wolf Hollow and I was just kind of cheating.

26. 1 BURN BABY BURN

2. The Passion of Dolssa
    3. Railhead

30. Sarah Couri says:

1. March vol 3
    2. We Are the Ants
    3. The Lie Tree

(pressing post before I can change my mind — AGAIN)

31. Joy Piedmont says:

1. Lucy and Linh
    2. We are the Ants
    3. Highly Illogical Behavior

32. Karyn Silverman says:

Voting is closed, and we have a tie, per RealPrintz regulations! Results and the opportunity to vote again here: http://bit.ly/2jlBOXV