Someday My Printz Will Come
Inside Someday My Printz Will Come

The Pyrite Results Are In… We Get to Vote AGAIN!

scales-310962_64030 of us voted, and the results definitely  indicate some clear trends, but by the Printz guidelines, we do NOT have a winner.

From the RealPrintz Policies and Procedures:

To win, a title must receive five first place votes and must also receive at least five more points than the second place title. If no title meets these criteria on the first ballot, any title receiving no votes is removed from consideration and a period of discussion of remaining titles follows. A second ballot is then conducted. Balloting continues in this fashion until a winner is declared.

For our purposes, we’ve adapted “five first place votes” to “at least one more first place vote than the next highest title,” since on a 9-person committee, 5 votes is 50% plus 1, a majority, and also at least one more vote than the next highest first place vote; with an open mock event and no telling how many voters, we stick with the simplest way to make this rule still applicable to our results.

We do have a book that both received the highest number of points AND has one more first place vote than the next highest pointing title — but the spread between them is only 3 points, so it looks like it’s time to vote again! Jump below the fold to see what’s still eligible and a few data points that might help you cast your vote strategically.

The Passion of Dolssa is just barely in first place, with 13 voters giving it 49 points (8 first place/2 second place/3 3rd place). Creeping up with 46 points and 14 voters (uh oh) is The Lie Tree (7/2/5). As I said above, this is not considered a win by the Printz Policies and Procedures, so we aren’t calling it a win for the Pyrite either; this is just too close to call.

5 additional titles have solid consensus behind them — March Book 3 (2/4/2); The Sun is Also a Star (2/4/1); Still Life with Tornado (3/1/1); Lucy and Linh (3/0/2); and We Are the Ants (0/5/2) — which might be useful data for the strategic thinkers.

Finally, the following titles received between 1 and 3 votes, and had less than 10 points each — so they’re still eligible, although maybe not where you want to throw your weight(ed votes): Golden Boys; Wolf Hollow; Some Kind of Happiness; The Reader; Samurai Rising; Railhead; Burn Baby Burn; Vassa in the Night; The Serpent King; Memory of Light; Girl Mans Up; Female of the Species; My Lady Jane; The Bitter Side of Sweet; and Highly Illogical Behavior.

VOTING ROUND 2 INSTRUCTIONS:

• Again, in the comments
  • Votes are weighted; number your votes 1, 2, 3 (worth 5 pts, 3 pts, 1 pt)
  • only titles mentioned in this post are eligible (everything will be eligible again for the honor vote)
  • Voting will be open through Friday evening

And GO.

About Karyn Silverman

Karyn Silverman is the High School Librarian and Educational Technology Department Chair at LREI, Little Red School House & Elisabeth Irwin High School (say that ten times fast!). Karyn has served on YALSA’s Quick Picks and Best Books committees and was a member of the 2009 Printz committee. She has reviewed for Kirkus and School Library Journal. She has a lot of opinions about almost everything, as long as all the things are books. Said opinions do not reflect the attitudes or opinions of SLJ, LREI, YALSA or any other institutions with which she is affiliated. Find her on Twitter @InfoWitch or e-mail her at karynsilverman at gmail dot com.

Comments

1. 1-Sun is Also a Star
    2-Passion of Dolssa

2. The Lie Tree
    3. We Are the Ants

5. Karyn Silverman says:

1. The Passion of Dolssa
    2. Still Life With Tornado
    3. Vassa in the Night

It just gets harder and harder!

6. 1 THE LIE TREE
    2 MARCH
    3 LUCY & LINH

7. 1 – Passion of Dolssa
    2 – March
    3 – Still Life With Tornado

8. Chelsea SC says:

1. Burn Baby Burn
    2. The Passion of Dolssa
    3. The Lie Tree

9. 1 – The Lie Tree
    2 – Still Life with Tornado
    3 – Passion of Dolssa

• I just finished rereading The Lie Tree. Interestingly, while I still think it’s one of my favorite novels of 2016, and I definitely liked it more than the other 2 books on my list, I now think it is more suitable to to win Newbery. I am not changing my vote, but this is just a late agreement with Karyn’s review. Lack of subletyI think will be more acceptable in a Newbery conversation.

• Karyn Silverman says:

We held a mock Printzbery this past weekend, and I realized that I loved this as a Printzbery pick, a book that fits right on that narrow line between the YA and children’s zones. And the more I think on The Lie Tree the more I think 12 year old me would have been all over this. It would be an amazing Newbery pick, in other words.

10. 1. The Passion of Dolssa
    2. We Are the Ants
    3. Vassa in the Night (I changed my mind, since the last vote)

11. 1. March vol 3

23. 1. Lucy and Linh
    2. We Are the Ants
    3. March Book 3

24. 1.The Lie Tree
    2.The Female of the Species
    3. The Sun is also a Star

(have not had a chance to finish The Passion of Dolssa – so far, so good)

25. 1. We Are the Ants

2. The Sun is Also a Star
    3. March Book 3

29. 1. We Are the Ants
    2. Female of the Species
    3. March, Book 3

30. Meredith Burton says:

1. The Passion of Dolssa.
    2. The Lie Tree
    3. Still Life with Tornado.

31. Guess I should re-vote in case I get distracted this afternoon… strategy is, once again, tricky.

1. The Lie Tree
    2. Scythe
    3. Passion of Dolssa

(With Dolssa currently 13 points/3 1st place votes/3 voters ahead, I don’t think leaving it off my ballot will let Lie Tree close the gap, and I’d much rather Dolssa thanStill Life with a Tornado or We Are the Ants, which are trying to creep up, so… strategy.)

• Karyn Silverman says:

Scythe isn’t eligible this time around, tho, right? Which I have been kicking myself for, because I almost gave it my 3rd vote in the first round and I just keep thinking about it.

• Right! It’s one of the two I was thinking about giving a vote to the first round even though it hadn’t been covered yet… (the other being Merrow, having entirely missed the anachronisms and now feeling a little dumb since that’s the kind of thing I usually notice… but also still thoroughly loving the book). And then Aimee voted for it (tried to vote for it?) this round so it wound up on my second-round spreadsheet and I went with it.

If I may, I’ll revise to: