Someday My Printz Will Come
Inside Someday My Printz Will Come

Looking Ahead to 2018

number 2 Calendar Wood Block number 0 number 1 Colour Bingo green number 8

letter P letter R letter I letter N letter T Scrabble white letter on pale green Z

Scrabble white letter on blue P letter O letter S Scrabble white letter on pale green S letter I Scrabble white letter on pale blue B letter L letter E shain letter S

(Image thanks to Spell with Flickr)

The YMA dust has settled (even if nothing else has, or seems likely to) and so we’re turning our attention to the bright spots of 2017: the books we can’t wait to get our hands on, with special attention for the ones that seem likely to be on the 2018 RealCommittee’s reading list.

I’ve got my to-read shelf already building up of books I’m anticipating, mostly new books by already beloved authors, some of which seem likely Printz potentials.  What’s on your radar? Comments are open: let’s start building our collective reading list.

About Karyn Silverman

Karyn Silverman is the High School Librarian and Educational Technology Department Chair at LREI, Little Red School House & Elisabeth Irwin High School (say that ten times fast!). Karyn has served on YALSA’s Quick Picks and Best Books committees and was a member of the 2009 Printz committee. She has reviewed for Kirkus and School Library Journal. She has a lot of opinions about almost everything, as long as all the things are books. Said opinions do not reflect the attitudes or opinions of SLJ, LREI, YALSA or any other institutions with which she is affiliated. Find her on Twitter @InfoWitch or e-mail her at karynsilverman at gmail dot com.

Comments

1. I am looking forward to reading –
    Walkaway, by Doctorow
    Juliet Takes a Breath, by Rivera
    Strange the Dreamer, by Taylor
    His Fair Assasin #4, by LaFevers
    The Other F-Word, by Friend
    The Hate You Give, by Thomas

2. Kristin C says:

I believe this is the year that the next volume in Libba Bray’s Diviners series comes out. I thought No. 1 had its ups and downs but No. 2 but was solid, and I’m anticipating No. 3

Oh and Thick as Thieves by Megan Whalen Turner. The Thief series has really grown over the years, and I’m looking forward to that.

Plus Night Witches by Kathryn Lasky, about women fighter pilots who fought on the Russian side during World War II.

3. Caradith Craven says:

I just finished the ARC for Wild Bird by Wendelin Van Draanen. The publication date for it is September 5, 2017. It is a powerful, beautifully written portrayal of fourteen-year-old Wren’s downward spiral into a world of self-destructive behavior, bitterness, and despair. Her only way out is through a mandatory survival camp in the Utah desert where she faces the harsh wilderness, meets other teens in similar situations, and finally realizes she must take ownership of her actions and reach out to others for strength and courage. This title is destined to be on the Best Fiction for Young Adults List and is a must addition to middle and high school library shelves.

4. I’m hoping for a fabulous Thick as Thieves.

5. Just some books I’m keeping my eye on:

The Bone Witch by Rin Chupeco
    History is All You Left Me by Adam Silvera
    Done Dirt Cheap by Sarah Nicole Lemon
    Wicked Like a Wildfire by Lana Popović
    The Upside of Unrequited by Becky Albertalli

6. Caradith Craven says:

I recently read the ARC for Wild Bird by Wendelin Van Draanen. The publication date for its release is September 5, 2017. This is a powerful and beautiful portrayal of fourteen-year-old Wren’s downward spiral into the world of destructive behavior, bitterness, and despair. Her only hope for redemption lies in a mandated survival course in the desert of Utah where she has to deal with the harsh wilderness, come to grips with her personal demons, and find the courage and strength to overcome them with the encouragement and help of others in the camp. Van Draanen packs a punch with this thought-provoking, relevant story, and it is certain to create discussion in YA circles. This title is on my Printz watch list and is destined to be on the 2018 Best Fiction for Young Adults top ten list. It definitely deserves a place on middle and high school library shelves across the country.

• Joy Piedmont says:

This sounds fascinating, Caradith! I’ve enjoyed Van Draanen in the past so I’m putting this in my to-read pile immediately.

7. Caradith Craven says:

I just read the ARC for Wild Bird by Wendelin Van Draanen. It’s the story of fourteen-year-old Wren’s journey from despair and bitterness to hope and redemption. It should be on the 2018 awards watch list.

8. I’ve read Thick as Thieves, and I think you all are going to be completely satisfied. Other titles I’ve been really impressed by are The Hate U Give, Piecing Me Together and The Upside of Unrequited. These may be more likely to hit the Morris list rather than Printz but both When Dimple Met Rishi and Education of Margot Sanchez should definitely be on your TBR. I maintain that EK Johnston gets better and better with each book and is due for some Printz love so I’ll be keeping an eye out for her new book That Inevitable Victorian Thing. Same with Brandy Colbert, whose book Little and Lion is out later in the spring. E Lockhart also has a new one due this year and if you liked Disreputable History of Frankie-Landau Banks, I suggest you check out Noteworthy by Riley Redgate. I’m also looking forward to reading MT Anderson’s first graphic novel, which apparently is based on an Arthurian legend.

• Karyn Silverman says:

Oh! Those two debuts are both in my Goodreads queue already! I don’t 100% agree about Johnston (I thought Spindle and Exit were both disappointing, especially after the brilliance of A Thousand Nights), but I’m looking forward to the new one too.

• Adding a bunch of these to my TBR list, especially When Dimple Met Rishi, Noteworthy, and the new E. Lockhart (Genuine Fraud).

9. Elizabeth Wein’s THE PEARL THIEF is a delightful; it is a prequel to CODE NAME VERITY, but you definitely don’t need to haver read it to enjoy this one. I think it is like THE HIRED GIRL, worth considering for Newbery and Printz.

I adored, adored Laini Taylor’s STRANGE THE DREAMER. It does have a cliffhanger of an ending, but so what.

And I found Megan Whalen Turner’s THICK AS THIEVES as rich and enjoyable as the earlier books. Also one to be considered for Newbery and Printz I’d say.

E. Lockhart’s GENUINE FRAUD is brilliant and chilling. I’m sure it will be much discussed:)

10. Karyn Silverman says:

I love that I am seeing comments for books I didn’t even know were coming!

I’ve already — very happily! — read three of the books I was looking forward to — A Face like Glass (Hardinge), Strange the Dreamer (Taylor), and Thick as Thieves (Turner — I actually have about 50 pages left but I love it).

Also on my list:
    The Pearl Thief (Verity prequel, how can I resist?); Dreamland Burning (we had the ARC of this very early, so I’ve been looking forward to it since mid 2016); Genuine Fraud (very jealous of folks who have already gotten their hands on this one); American Street; City of Saints and Thieves; The Murderer’s Ape (we have an ARC and it intrigued me enough to set it aside in the smaller pile of read soon books); The Library of Fates; The Hate U Give.

Then there are a few books I want to read based on author, rather than any other sense of the book — the upcoming books by Becky Albertalli, Adam Silvera, Shaun David Hutchinson, and Maureen Johnson (per Goodreads, first in a new series).

Also several sequels, chief among them Diviners 3 and the new Victoria Schwab.

• Am very, very happy to hear you are loving Thick as Thieves! (This thread is making me feel more relieved than should be warranted, I think!)

11. I’ve read and loved A Face Like Glass, though like most of Hardinge’s work I think it’s more complex middle grade than true YA. Still, great for the 12-14 crowd… but much much weirder than, say, The Lie Tree, which might limit its audience.

I’m very much looking forward to Strange the Dreamer and have A Psalm for Lost Girls, Dreamland Burning, and Bone Witch on my library request list. I hadn’t heard about The Pearl Thief of the new Turner, so those’ll need to go on my list. I’ve been off Twitter for the last year and feel like I’m way out of the loop on what’s coming out!

• Karyn Silverman says:

Weirder for sure. And maybe less thematically rich than The Lie Tree or Cuckoo’s Nest? Not that it’s meaningless, but it’s straight up fantasy and way plottier. I loved it, just not sure that will serve it well for awards. Also I do think YA fans of funny/strange spec fiction will like it, so I wouldn’t say it’s pure MG.

• I loved A Face Like Glass, too – it’s probably my favorite of Hardinge’s works! I’m not sure I’d say it’s straight up fantasy – to me, the epilogue complicates that a little – and I really loved the complexity of the plot, the way everything tied together so beautifully (reminded me a lot of Diana Wynne Jones!) and that fabulous, fabulous “pages sliced out” angle to POV. I think I’d argue that it’s equally thematically rich, but that the themes are buried beneath story, in a way that the other two Hardinges you mentioned don’t do.

And there’s that great Alice-in-Wonderland rabbit mention, and and and. Basically, I hope we discuss this next year! I didn’t realize this finally had a US pub date!

12. Eric Carpenter says:

I read and loved Dreamland Burning. I’m halfway through The Pearl Thief and it’s awesome being back in that world!
    On my pile of soon to be read I’ve got Nic Stone’s Dear Martin, the upcoming Marcus Sedgwick novel Saint Death, Lockhart’s Genuine Fraud, and of course MWT’s Thick as Thieves. Super excited about all of these.

13. Karyn Silverman says:

Oh! One more: Beck, the posthumous Mal Peet finished by Meg Rosoff. I absolutely trust Peet as a writer, and I thought his writing around race and colonialism in the Faustino trilogy was really strong. The fact that this has a mixed race protagonist and was finished by Rosoff, on the other hand, doesn’t fill me with confidence: and she has not exactly done a great job showing she’s ready to tell the story of anything other than a white character. But I really think Peet was an astounding writer, and I think Rosoff’s sentence level writing is always great, so I’m at least giving this a try.

14. Completely forgot about Saint Death! Apparently that one’s really something to look out for come 2018 consideration, as Sedgwick’s books invariably are.

• Karyn Silverman says:

I’ve also heard good things about Mister Memory, but that one is actually adult — which seems so random, because ALL of his books could just as easily be adult.

15. in addition to everything listed earlier, I am looking forward to the new Susan Juby – “The Fashion Committee”, M.T. Anderson’s “Landscape with Invisible Hand” and “Jane, Unlimited” by Kristin Cashore

16. I agree with a lot of the above, but I am especially excited to tear into the new ones from Becky Albertalli, E. Lockhart, Adam Silvera, Benjamin Alire Saenz, and Jeff Zentner

17. A LIST OF CAGES by Robin Roe is really stunning and has lots of award potential.

• Karyn Silverman says:

Oh good, I have a copy of this already! And I finished The Pearl Thief and ooh boy, do I need to talk to someone about it. So many things to say!

Also — one more for the list, which I’ve already read and thus forgot to mention — Maresi. We talked about it at our librarians-only book club last night, and we all agreed that it’s definitely something special.

• I really didn’t like The List of Cages. Not at all.

18. I’m more of a lurker on this site than a commenter, but I didn’t see anyone else mention The Art of Starving by Sam J. Miller. To quote the Goodreads blurb, it’s about “a bullied gay teen boy with an eating disorder who believes he’s developed superpowers via starvation.” Miller’s done some really great short fiction work in the SF/F markets the past couple of years, has been nominated for a Nebula in the past, and was in last year’s Best American Science Fiction and Fantasy. Starving is his debut novel, so I definitely see it being a Morris contender, but possibly a Printz contender as well.

19. Meredith Burton says:

I just read a wonderful fantasy novel entitled, The Bear and the Nightingale, by Catherine Arden. I don’t think it’s being marketed as YA, but I wish it was because the heroine’s age is appropriate. It’s a beautiful story and one of the best fantasies I’ve read in a while. Thoroughly recommended.

• Karyn Silverman says:

Huh. I started it and stalled out very early on, despite having looked forward to it for months. Maybe I’ll give it another try!

20. Meredith Burton says:

I loved the sensory detail in the story, and as I don’t like very much romance, the book was refreshing in its portrayal of an independent young woman. There were aspects that were slow, and the names confused me a bit, but the setting was richly evoked. It got to a point where I couldn’t put the book down. If you begin reading the novel again, I hope that you enjoy it.

I’m excited about Mindy McGinnis’ two novels being released this year and for The Pearl Thief. I enjoyed Code Name Verity.

21. My loves!
    The Hate You Give-Fabulous
    Kids of Appetite-Terrific
    Goodbye Days-Very moving
    I am anticipating History is All You Left Me

22. TONS of what was mentioned already has me excited! Here are a few more:

The Names They Gave Us (coming in May) by Emery Lord is one of my most anticipated. Her latest was just SO darn good.

The Inexplicable Logic of My Life by Benjamin Alire Sáenz is another I have been really excited about.

I’m starting We are Okay by Nina LaCour on my lunch break today. Hearing a ton of buzz about this.

Also can’t wait for Ramona Blue by Julie Murphy and BANG from Barry Lyga.