Heavy Medal: A Mock Newbery Blog
Inside Heavy Medal

Twice as Many Titles: The Updated Mock Newbery List

May suggestions are now closed, and we have a quickly growing list! The number of suggested titles has nearly doubled from a month ago. And more than half of this month’s suggestions were for books that had not been put forward before.

The full list of suggestions so far is below. The fifteen first-time titles are in red. We’ll open up suggestions again on the first Monday in June. Until then…lots of interesting-looking books to read!

TitleAuthorTotal
RACONTEUR’S COMMONPLACE BOOKMilford1
ROCK FROM THE SKYKlassen1
SAVING AMERICAN BEACHKing1
SEVENTH RAVENElliott1
UNPLUGGEDKorman1
Steven Engelfried About Steven Engelfried

Steven Engelfried is the Library Services Manager at the Wilsonville Public Library in Oregon. He served on the 2010 Newbery committee, chaired the 2013 Newbery Committee, and also served on the 2002 Caldecott committee. You can reach him at sengelfried@yahoo.com.

Comments

1. Leonard Kim says:

Unfortunately, it seems LEONARD (MY LIFE AS A CAT) was published in the UK in 2020, which I believe makes it ineligible. I am still excited to read it.

2. Steven Engelfried Steven Engelfried says:

Thanks for spotting that, Leonard. I’ve updated the list, since LEONARD (MY LIFE AS A CAT) is ineligible…

3. Katrina T (the original Katrina 😆) says:

Hey! I just saw on the nomination post that a different Katrina commented! Not something that comes up very often. Guess we’ll have to resort to last names or at least initials! 🙂 Although I don’t think I’ve read any 2021 books yet, so she may be able to just take my place. 😆

4. Highly recommend GROUND ZERO
    Two voices with an amazing plot twist and exquisite word choice Definitely deserves an award !

5. Steven Engelfried Steven Engelfried says:

If you’re interested in digging deeply into the 100 years of the Newbery Award, I highly recommend “The Newbery Medal, Past, Present and Future.” This is an online course from ALSC, taught by the amazing KT Horning, Director of the Children’s Cooperative Book Center. I took this several years ago and it was useful, fascinating, and fun. The six-week course starts in July, and registration information is on ALSC’s website.

• Mary Lou White says:

Re: the Newbery Medal, Past, Present, and Future” – best kid’s lit course I have ever taken, and KT Horning is the most engaged online teacher I have ever had. It is worth every penny, and I value and use all the things I learned in that great class. Take it if you can!!

6. Kate Reid says:

Is “Root Magic” eligible if Eden Royce lives in England?

• Steven Engelfried Steven Engelfried says:

It looks like Eden Royce is from South Carolina originally, and eligible authors are “citizens or residents of the United States.” We can assume for now that she’s still a US citizen, but the real Newbery Committee might do further research to confirm that. I believe Sharon Creech was an English resident when she won the Medal for WALK TWO MOONS, for one example of when that citizen/resident rule applied. For now, we’ll keep ROOT MAGIC on our list…

7. I can’t nominate it, but I’m looking forward to Steve Sheinkin’s book to be released in September. I always enjoy his books and so do my students who love nonfiction.