SCROLL DOWN TO READ THE POST
Affirm your community’s love of libraries with a signing
When I hear heart-breaking news like this recent story of the closings of the libraries at Philadelphia’s two top academic high schools, following the closing of so many others, I recognize that my own community likely takes our own libraries for granted.
Really, how often do we as communities stop and acknowledge that we value our library spaces, programs, resources and the people behind them?
ALA President, Barbara Stripling, would like to see each and every community around our country to affirm the value of libraries in their lives.
is designed to build the public will and sustained support for America’s right to libraries of all types – academic, special school and public.
In the next year, libraries of all types will hold signing ceremonies, during which community members can visibly declare their right to have vibrant libraries in their community. The signing ceremony is intended to serve as the launching point for continued and vibrant community engagement to:
- Increase public and media awareness about the critical role of libraries in communities around the country
- Inspire ongoing conversations about the role of the library in the community
- Cultivate a network of community allies and advocates for the library
- Position the library as a trusted convener to help in the response to community issues
Consider hosting a signing event, perhaps during your fall Parents’ Night.
The Declaration Toolkit offers everything you need to plan, promote, and host a signing:
- Download a text-only PDF of the Declaration here.
- Download an 8.5 x 11″ (Press-Ready with Printer Crop Marks) PDF here.
- 8.5 x 11″ (Copier-Ready without Crop Marks) PDF here.
- 8.5 x 14″ (Press-Ready with Printer Crop Marks) PDF here.
- 8.5 x 14″ (Copier-Ready without Crop Marks) PDF here.
- 11 x 17″ (Press-Ready with Printer Crop Marks) PDF here.
- 11 x 17″ (Copier-Ready without Crop Marks) PDF here.
- Download the Declaration in Other Languages
- A larger (22 x 34″) version Declaration will be available shortly from the ALA Store.
- An online version of the Declaration will be available for signing soon.
Join the social media campaign:
- Join the Declaration for the Right to Libraries on Facebook
- Submit your photographs on the Declaration for the Right to Libraries Flickr group.
- #right2libs is the official hashtag for sharing information about your signing events.
About Joyce Valenza
Joyce is an Assistant Professor of Teaching at Rutgers University School of Information and Communication, a technology writer, speaker, blogger and learner. Follow her on Twitter: @joycevalenza
SLJ Blog Network