Search on SLJ.com ....
Subscribe to SLJ
Follow This Blog: RSS feed
Neverending Search
Inside Neverending Search

CNN Student News

Just in case you missed it . .
Written by CNN journalists and educators, CNN Student News is a commercial-free ten-minute daily news school developed for middle and high school students that was renewed, revamped and relaunched back in November.

studentnews CNN Student News

The companion website pulls together a whole bunch of resources classroom teachers will love: written transcripts, news-related downloadable PDF maps, Daily Discussion and News Quiz, a Daily Podcasts, blogs, Media Literacy Questions of the Day, and a full archive of past broadcasts. Educators may sign up for a daily e-mail alert for advance word on topics being covered, news about special programs and initiatives, and links to maps and new blog posts and they may opt to subscribe to the daily podcast.

The site suggests a variety of strategies for using its materials in the classroom: to get

After viewing CNN Student News, use the Daily Discussion to help students discuss and understand the stories covered in the program. The questions are designed to promote critical thinking and are written for middle and high school students, but they can easily be adapted for upper elementary school classes if you feel the topics addressed are appropriate.

The Media Literacy Question of the Day is designed to help students examine media messages and their delivery. You can use it as a great discussion starter either before or after watching the show.

You can use Learning Activities to enhance students’ research, writing and verbal communication skills, and promote responsible use of the Internet. Distribute copies of a Learning Activity on a particular topic and have students complete it working in groups or for homework.

Distribute copies of the Daily Transcript and have students read the stories. Then, have students write their individual responses to that day’s Daily Discussion questions or the weekly Newsquiz. This approach can be used to promote reading comprehension as well as in ESOL classes.

share save 171 16 CNN Student News
Joyce Valenza About Joyce Valenza

Joyce is the teacher-librarian at Springfield Township High School, a technology writer, and a blogger. Follow her on Twitter: @joycevalenza

Comments

1. Gwyneth Jones says:

Oh i love this! Thank you! i just wish the show was 5 not 10 min because i have strict time constraints in my school for my broadcast…(bah humbug!) i also really like The Week in Rap dot com! we play that every Monday and the kids really dig it (not that they use the word DIG! LOL) Cheers Joyce and congrats again for winning Best Librarian Blog of the Year by Edublogs!!!!!! YAY!!!

Speak Your Mind

*