Neverending Search
Inside Neverending Search

The database “thing” state-by-state

In my job teaching new librarians, mostly online, I get to meet new professionals from around the country, some from around the world, some who are utterly unsure where their first professional job will take them.

Though I am very familiar with the state resources of PA, and I am getting to know those of NJ, I realize I am not all that knowledgeable of what existed beyond the two states I spend the most time in.

I meet with educators and many others who seem quite unaware of the resources provided for citizens by their state libraries.  When I think of state library-supported subscription databases I think of both fabulous potential and waste.  I think of how these resources present opportunities for equity of access.  But so many folks I meet don’t even realize they are a thing.

So here’s  a little proof of concept interactive map that I hope might be used for instruction and advocacy.  As I collected the links, I saw significant variety among the resources.   In some cases, I discovered that the resources were awfully hard to discover.

(I hope I have the right links for each state.  Please let me know if I don’t and please let me know if you’d be interested in helping me edit and grow the map with content from major public libraries.)
Note:  This interactive map is a follow-up to my chart below offering rationale for database use.  For this one, I mashed-up Piktochart with Thinglink.

Joyce Valenza About Joyce Valenza

Joyce is an Assistant Professor of Teaching at Rutgers University School of Information and Communication, a technology writer, speaker, blogger and learner. Follow her on Twitter: @joycevalenza

Comments

1. Floyd Pentlin says:

Joyce – In Missouri, any library who gets Internet access through MOREnet (which includes almost all school libraries) has access to the MOREnet databases funded by the state as well as being part of the MOREnet consortium. http://search.more.net/available-databases
    What is shocking to me is when at least half of my library students who are currently classroom teachers have no idea that these databases are available in their own school library.

2. Martha Taylor says:

Hi, Joyce – what a great idea! http://scdiscus.org/ is the URL of Discus, South Carolina’s Virtual Library. I’d be happy to help in this project.

3. Joyce – In addition to the online services offered by the public libraries, all students in Iowa have access to a robust suite of databases through Iowa AEA Online. http://www.iowaaeaonline.org/ Students in our district make heavy use of them.

4. Joyce Valenza Joyce Valenza says:

Thanks, Kathy, Martha and Floyd. I think I have those links right now. Further additions/corrections welcome!

5. Joyce, your infographic is wonderful! Can we link to it from our Discus website here in South Carolina? Just FYI – I believe North Carolina’s statewide programs are NC LIVE (https://www.nclive.org/) and NC Wise Owl (http://www.ncwiseowl.org/).

6. Cathy Mayer says:

This is a fantastic infographic– thank you for assembling this information!

However, I want to point out that the Illinois link does not provide access to databases that are available to a wide range of people. Instead, they are, ” restricted to Illinois State Government Employees with a valid library card from the Illinois State Library, and requires authentication by entering your 14-digit library ID number (located on the back of your library card) and your last name.” Each Fall, the Illinois State Library sponsors are two month trial (TRY-IT Illinois) featuring dozens of databases that can be accessed by Illinois Library patrons, but to my knowledge, there are no general state-wide databases available at this time.

Having worked in two different Illinois high schools (one in Central Illinois near the state capital and the other in the South Suburbs of Chicago), I wish there were premium content databases available to all Illinois students/residents for research. In my present suburban position, I am able to offer my students VASTLY greater content thanks to greater funding for research databases than my previous population in Central Illinois.

7. Barb Gogan says:

Hi Joyce-

The state databases in MA are available to schools ONLY if the have a certified librarian and the library is available 5 days a week.

(And thanks for the great class 2 years ago–I use the info from your class every day!)

8. Tharen Houck says:

Hi Joyce: The link for Ohio should be https://www.infohio.org/. It is free to all PK-12 educators, students and parents in the State. Visitors can look at resources, but you need a password to access databases. We have a great group of dedicated staff at the State level constantly improving it! As a Middle School Librarian, I use it frequently.